Briggs and Stratton powered Worksman Trike

It's technically a motorized trike with pedals but this forum has already helped me because the engine I'm using is common with this community.
Still working out all the bugs.
Here's a pic for now.

This trike has a history of being motorized. It originally had a 48cc engine with a 3 to 1 reduction. And I have used a 3 speed hub for gears in the past and I've used a CVT transmission too. But I've always had problems with my brakes so it sat for a few years.
And then about a month ago I came along this B&S engine at the flea market. The dude had an entire pallet of them,all never even had any oil in it. It was discontinued and a generator facility scrapped them for larger engines. At least that was the story. And then he wanted 60 bucks but I waited till it got late and he didn't sell any. And because he couldn't prove that it runs,he took 30.
Deal of a lifetime because everything inside was new. It was just dusty on the outside.
Here's some pics of this trike's history.

1) Two of my dogs and using the bike trails here in Colorado. Cops have never stopped me. In fact they have given me compliments. This set up was a single speed with a 36 tooth sprocket.

2) Cherry Creek Mall is a good 25 miles away from my home one way. I took almost all bike trails to get here.
This setup used a 5 speed hub laced on a 20 inch wheel. I only used the large gear though. And my front brake was a bicycle side pull.
It wasn't much braking power at all. I relied solely on my coaster.

3) The bike trail at Confluence Park on the way to Cherry Creek Mall.

4) Three speed hub and yes I drove this year round.

5) CVT tranny with 3 speed hub. This set up was insane.

Since then I've had reliability issues with my engine so it sat collecting dust. But the B&S engines just runs and runs so I think this is the way it's going to go.
I've been figuring out how to get this legal. I'm thinking I can register this as a homemade scooter and even have the DMV generate a VIN number.
Yea if this was the original engine I don't have to do any of this in Colorado.
But it would be fun seeing a Colorado plate lol.

Last edited: