Briggs flathead exhaust

I’ve just finished my first actual build of a mini bike engine. I used a Briggs IC block and head a billet flywheel and rod from ARC a cheater cam from Dyno cams and I’m useing EC carbs Chinese style Mikuni carb with their intake. I’ve ground and polished the exhaust and intake ports and then did my best at shaving the eyebrows. But now with my exhaust I’m not sure what to use or build. Right now I just have used a piece of 8” gas pipe that I’ve reduced down on the end and threaded a regular Briggs muffler onto. I’ve looked at Robertson torque tubes ( they look awesome!!) but are they really worth it. I’m hoping people here can give me some tips on what works best with the engine I’ve put together. Thanks!!

Attachments

I would get rid of the reducer on the exhaust pipe and use a 3/4" muffler like this ebay one:
3/4" Threaded Exhaust Muffler For Warrior200 212cc BT200X GX200Go kart Mini Bike

You are robbing yourself of power and performance with that setup. You are choking down the 3/4" exhaust port outlet down to only 1/2" and using a muffler made for a (stock) 3HP engine. At the very least get a 3/4" screw in "hot dog" muffler.
Michael

I’ve just finished my first actual build of a mini bike engine. I used a Briggs IC block and head a billet flywheel and rod from ARC a cheater cam from Dyno cams and I’m useing EC carbs Chinese style Mikuni carb with their intake. I’ve ground and polished the exhaust and intake ports and then did my best at shaving the eyebrows. But now with my exhaust I’m not sure what to use or build. Right now I just have used a piece of 8” gas pipe that I’ve reduced down on the end and threaded a regular Briggs muffler onto. I’ve looked at Robertson torque tubes ( they look awesome!!) but are they really worth it. I’m hoping people here can give me some tips on what works best with the engine I’ve put together. Thanks!!
I found this 13 1/2 inch from bmi karts there cheap an sound super cool

Attachments

Thanks for all the replies. I actually put the muffler on the end of the piece of pipe just for the test drive in my neighbor hood. But it’ll definitely come off. Has anyone had better luck with particular head pipe setups ie: stepped or head pipe to some kind of end piece. Or should the exhaust be as free flowing as possible for the most performance? Has anyone ever tried these from Robertsons torque tubes?

Attachments

An open header pipe (i.e.,no muffler) will be as loud as hell. Will that be an issue where you ride? If you are riding around in the city (think: neighbors in close proximity), that could be a big deal. If riding around in a rural setting on country roads that might not be. Also, my own experience with "silencers" like the RLV (a popular silencer brand) added to the header pipe is that they do not quiet it down very much to make a real difference.
Michael

Last edited:

SAS289

That muffler looks like a SuperTrapp. I wonder why they don't call it that?

It's tunable and is an approved spark arrester so you don't set the woods on fire.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually put the muffler on the end of the piece of pipe just for the test drive in my neighbor hood. But it’ll definitely come off. Has anyone had better luck with particular head pipe setups ie: stepped or head pipe to some kind of end piece. Or should the exhaust be as free flowing as possible for the most performance? Has anyone ever tried these from Robertsons torque tubes?

can't say enough good things about robertsons torque tubes. prices are pretty darn cheap for as nice a work as he does. I have had it where I got the wrong pipe a couple times but he always made good on it and let me keep the wrong parts. I have one header that has that flapper in it, takes a tiny bit of the obnoxious tones out of the exhaust but isn't really quiet and you have to be careful as I have lost the spring and almost lost the whole works before when I just leaned back to open or close it on the bike, best get off and do it carefully. . I like that design because if you are easy on the throttle, you can sorta sneek around but the second you open it up, everyones gonna hear you. I live out in the boonies so noise isn't a concern for anyone but what i prefer. I just got the golf kart v twin kit from him for my v twin manco quester build, great fit and cheap for what you get.

Last edited:
I just took my bike out for a quick test run with the new rebuild. The exhaust was definitely quiet enough for a quick once around the neighborhood at night but I think I’ll have to go with one of the header pipes mentioned and a different silencer and see how that works. Thanks again for the advice!!

Attachments