Briggs on Duck frame??

Good tip on the intake, my bird came with a teccumseh 3.5 with a broken rod and and I have a 3 horse briggs that does not fit with the air cleaner on.

Hey restore kid...is there any way adjust idle on that rec carb? With the throttle all the way closed it is still idling pretty high..
Besides that it runs good though!

It probably has an air leak somewhere.. You might want to check between the engine and manifold, if ya don't groove the bolt holes out some they won't line up very well.. Make sure your bolts are tight.. Take the carb off and run a file on the face of it to make sure it isn't tweaked.. People will over tighten the bolts and bend the tabs out so the carb leaks at the middle.. Run a file over everything and make sure it's alll one level surface, good gaskets, bolts tight, maybe some silicone...

The idle speed screw is just the big long one that the throttle plate on the carb crashes into.. screw it out it should idle down.. If it's out and idling high it's probably an air leak..

AND!!!!

look at the throttle butterfly in the carb.. Take the carb rite off and look and watch the thing open and close.. people will take em out then put them in and get them out of whack, turned a little, or pushed over one way or something (on the throttle shaft) and the butterfly won't close the hole completely off because it can't turn all the way back to flush and nice perfect fit in the hole like it belongs and that will make them do it too..

A leak around the butterfly in the bore of the carb..

It probably has an air leak somewhere.. You might want to check between the engine and manifold, if ya don't groove the bolt holes out some they won't line up very well.. Make sure your bolts are tight.. Take the carb off and run a file on the face of it to make sure it isn't tweaked.. People will over tighten the bolts and bend the tabs out so the carb leaks at the middle.. Run a file over everything and make sure it's alll one level surface, good gaskets, bolts tight, maybe some silicone...

The idle speed screw is just the big long one that the throttle plate on the carb crashes into.. screw it out it should idle down.. If it's out and idling high it's probably an air leak..

AND!!!!

look at the throttle butterfly in the carb.. Take the carb rite off and look and watch the thing open and close.. people will take em out then put them in and get them out of whack, turned a little, or pushed over one way or something (on the throttle shaft) and the butterfly won't close the hole completely off because it can't turn all the way back to flush and nice perfect fit in the hole like it belongs and that will make them do it too..

A leak around the butterfly in the bore of the carb..
Thanks..I will check all of that. It might be the butterfly like you said. When I got the tecumseh motor the carb came off of, the screw that holds the butterfly on the throttle came loose and was lodged in the intake valve holding it open. When I put it back together I may not have got it perfect. I will also check baskets..
Also this carb has no idle screw just a little metal tab..I guess you bend it?

Thanks..I will check all of that. It might be the butterfly like you said. When I got the tecumseh motor the carb came off of, the screw that holds the butterfly on the throttle came loose and was lodged in the intake valve holding it open. When I put it back together I may not have got it perfect. I will also check baskets..
Also this carb has no idle screw just a little metal tab..I guess you bend it?
:confused: :confused:

Is it a diaphragm carb?? Some of those don't have an idle because it's a governed one speed two stroke snow blower... There should be a screw that hits that little tab.. :confused: If theres a hole but no screw you're missing a screw and spring.. If theres no hole it's junk.. :hammer:

To get the butterfly JUST rite.. If you look there is a little timing mark on the butterfly.. I like to get them in there pretty perfectish, then get that screw like slightly snuggish... And loosen your idle screw way up so it will close all the way... Then just open and close the throttle about 150 times and the butterfly will usually wiggle itsel into position, then jus hold it good and shut tight, to snug the screw up the rest of the way, so it doesn't move on ya when ya snug it down..