Briggs won't start

After lapping the valves and installing a new rod, my engine won't start. I'm sure the cam and crank are lined up.

When I hit it with ether, it will sometimes puff a little smoke. Also I am getting a nice spark. I'm not really sure what's wrong...

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
When laping the valves in a flathead he valves sometimes sit just a little bit deeper into the seat. This will make the valve tip sit right on the lifter and not allowing you to get your proper valve lash.

This is just a wild guess, but check it anyway.

I checked the valves for clearance and behold! 0 lash, so I ground the lifters down a little till i got between .02 and .03 is this the correct lash? It fired up then it ate the flywheel key.

Use a torque wrench and tighten to factory spec.
Make sure crankshaft and flywheel mating surfaces are clean and free of any oil or grease. Clean with alcohol.
Keys should only shear under extreme circumstances.
Valve stem should be ground and not tappet.
Important: use a valve gauging tool to keep stem square.

Last edited:
I used vicegrips to make sure the tappets were grounded square. Why grind the valves and not the tappets?

Also, I ordered a starter clutch tool to torque the nut to spec. In order to pay for these small engine tools I'm going to have to start a freelance shop!

Why grind the valves and not the tappets?
Valves are purposely longer when new for various reasons one of which is to bring them into spec in case something changes such as grinding and/or lapping.
Also, to remove tappets engine must be completely dissasembled. Not so with the valves. Simply remove head and breather. Everything is there that you need to get to.
You are (in effect) creating triple the work using your method.
By the time your 1 engine is finished...I've done 3.
Not too often that valve train needs any work to begin with. Unless I know specifically that there is a problem, I leave them alone.
"Don't fix what ain't broke."

Last edited:
I lap the valves on all the engines i get. Just to make sure im not losing any compression and help proformance. It doesnt take too long. But it does tend to turn into more projects like cleaning fuel tanks and removing all the carbon while im at it:eek:ut:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So is it running good now?
I had missed this post a few days.
Was the problem the lash?
Also I use a impact gun on the motors I do. That way the flywheel can never come out of time, or break the key.

You are (in effect) creating triple the work using your method.
By the time your 1 engine is finished...I've done 3.
Not too often that valve train needs any work to begin with. Unless I know specifically that there is a problem, I leave them alone.
"Don't fix what ain't broke."
That's not necessarily so,I used to build 5hp Briggs engines for racing karts and I always ground the lifters.If your crank bearing on the pto side of the engine is clearanced so it will slip of the crank and your clutch isn't rusted fast to the crank,it doesn't take any more time to pull the side cover off the engine,pull the cam and change the lifters.I've changed lifters at the track already to try to get a little better setup for that track.You don't have to take the carb off or at least the tank to get the breather off or mess with springs and keepers either.:thumbsup:

So is it running good now?
I had missed this post a few days.
Was the problem the lash?
Also I use a impact gun on the motors I do. That way the flywheel can never come out of time, or break the key.
It idles good now, that's all it does since I don't have the mikuni hooked up yet. Also, I don't want to rev it too high with the starter clutch being properly torqued down. I ordered a tool from MFG to fit on my torque wrench.

The problem was the lash, it was holding it open too much, giving it a superior compression release that the elderly could use. Now, I can feel alot more compression than before the rebuild! I'm thinking that was this engine's problem all along. Now it starts with 1 pull.

Also, I don't want to rev it too high with the starter clutch being properly torqued down.
Reason for torquing flywheel to factory spec is 2 fold:
Under-torquing can lead to key shearing. Combustion pulses will eventually loosen up flywheel to the point that it will start to rock and shear key.
Over-torquing can fracture flywheel leading to catastrophic failure.