Bringing A Raptor Back Online

I've got a little diversionary project I'm doing that I plan on using this Briggs Raptor for it. It will be repainted.

I got this engine back in 2009 but I don't really know that much about it other than it is a Raptor. And it runs! I got a couple questions on it, first is that a stock carb or something else? I take it those screws on it are for setting air/fuel mixture, and it must not have been set right because I remember it smelled heavy gas smell (too rich, same as when I popped a .42 jet in a 212). At least I have some knowledge and experiences (from OldMiniBikes!) to even know that, cos I didn't know squat in '09.

(Don't edit yer pics here or they will turn out like below:confused:)

Next problem to solve is that ugly air filter. It won't fit the frame this way so it has to mount horizontally. It can't be higher than the spark plug to fit the frame. Hepp a bruthuh out??

bandit 40

If I remember right a 35mm angled or straight depending on how much room you have will fit over the carb flange with a hose clamp. Member Buckeye had one on his mini he would be a good person to contact or wait for his reply to this thread. It wont take long for him to see this good luck..Check out ebay..

Last edited:
The jet size sounds like a small methanol jet. I know on my race Raptors we run a .047 to .051 on alky. The carb may also be drilled for alky. There is a passage under the diaphragm that get drilled out. I just can't remember the name of it. Once it's drilled you cannot got back.

The jet size sounds like a small methanol jet. I know on my race Raptors we run a .047 to .051 on alky. The carb may also be drilled for alky. There is a passage under the diaphragm that get drilled out. I just can't remember the name of it. Once it's drilled you cannot got back.
cat eyes

Thanks dakota! Will that be enough air filter if I'm looking for high performance? (Hey it's a Raptor right!) Isn't there an angled air filter or adaptor out there? Plus I'm still not sure what carb this is, I know it's not alky. But I'm wondering if I could rig like a hose angle or plumbing adaptor to fit.....:hammer:

I got it apart for painting. Still up in the air on color, either silver or copper. Havasu Dave really got me with the copper Briggs on his Flexo build. He sent me this link for a 2 part urethane clear coat to protect the rattle can paint job I'm gonna do on it, SprayMax 3680061 Urethane Clear coat. He has a paint gun, air compressor, all that but I'm not going that direction in life and he said I would get desirable results using this, so I ordered it. I'm actually pretty good at painting, so I'm not daunted by the job (putting it all back together without f:censure:g it up, THAT'S daunting!)

I still have to figure out the air filter cos if I end up using a stock Briggs air filter I need to paint it with these parts. I will give the block a thorough cleaning, not that I haven't been left in the dust during the cleaning phase of a Project Log or two. Hopefully, I didn't glaze over too bad and learned something.:sleep1:

Got it ready for paint. It took almost two weeks to get the 2 stage clear coat recommended to my by Havasu Dave. Makes you appreciate the good ol' USPS! They shipped the same day, FedEx Ground is sloooooooow, but it's here. I also bought the low profile airfilter recommended to me by dakota (thanks for the link brother!) that was a 6 day auction but it arrived the same day as the paint, so everything is ready.

I stripped the old paint off using CitrusStrip stripping gel. Stuff is baddass and smells good too! Paint came off in one pass. I sanded the black parts, ready to prime.

I wussed on the copper color, am going with a GM silver metal flake instead. Almost wussed on that too and went black but all my stuff is black, wanted to break things up. I got a old Briggs 4 cycle decal to put on it, even though it's a Raptor racing engine, I'm going for a stock, except the header n RLV muffler!​

I also need to come up with a shorter bolt to hold the low profile air filter. No need for the longer one for an upright air filter. Anyone know if that's a stock screw from hardware store or a briggs part?

my friends keep saying why dont you put a raptor on it ....what kind of power do these make whats so special about them i dont see how they could be better than a clone

A Little Raptor History

my friends keep saying why dont you put a raptor on it ....what kind of power do these make whats so special about them i dont see how they could be better than a clone
At the time I bought this engine on '09, I was using the original Tecumseh Powersport 6hp engines I bought with my Lil Indians. Adequate, but uninteresting. Nowhere to go with it, kinda is what it is, not that I would know what to do with it anyway. But instinctively, we're always looking for that 'just a little more' and in my limited understanding, I roughly knew this: a Raptor was like a 10hp engine in a 5hp package, and it would fit in my minibike.

So off I go (you don't mind if I tell you a little story do you?) to Ebay in search of a Raptor and found this one from a builder in Texas, and stuck it in my minibike. Of course, here is when I found out my TAV wouldn't fit the engine in the frame and I bought my first clutch, a cheap Comet, to go with it. Living in the mountains at the time with significant hills in my neighborhood, while it had decent top speed, that sumbitch was like the Flintstones yabbadabbadoo on takeoff (all feet!) and would'nt even make it up my driveway from a dead stop. Who knew about gearing? Plus it was loud with the open header. So the upshot was, at the time, a failed experiment. I drained it and boxed it, there it sat. Until now.

My understanding of these things only moderately improved since then, but being a more active OldMiniBikes member and CASING this site like a criminal, I feel emboldened once again. I like form as well as substance and I like the way the engine looks. If I can ever get the thing to perform as I imagine, I will like it even better. Plus I'm bored. And if I get stuck, I'll just call Havasu Dave (don't run Dave!):laugh: WTF?? He's the Flathead King!

So that's that. It did make me curious though about the history of this engine and I found this: The Briggs Raptor Engine. Pretty cool. High hopes, as always.

Last edited:
And if I get stuck, I'll just call Havasu Dave (don't run Dave!):laugh: WTF?? He's the Flathead King!
Hey the flathead king is getting his ass kicked right now by a pulsa-jet carburetor, so better call the fan boys cruising the net for flywheels! LMFAO!

A Harbor Freight $99 special would look dreamy on that 1968 Taco 99, and we could save up our paper route money and go in to one together. Put in a mamba cam, they gotta be good, since every other frikking post here is about them.

I could still use that other engine.

Weather hit in the sixties today, but high winds in the forecast, so I got out there and did primer on all parts. Tomorrow's supposed to be the same, so I'll probably paint'er up.

Here is what I have been taught about stock raptors they are not all that . I just finished a raptor build with some pretty good parts . Was told by the guys on BOBS4CYCLE that it'probably making around 10- 12 HP . That feels about right , the motor hauls assss pulls like a train . If this motor would have started at 10 HP then what was done should've made maybe 18 or so hell IDK . But we also have a bone stock raptor also on a Powell with a TAV and when lined up against the bonanza with a 6.1 gear and a hillard flame set to 3800 the Powell was nowhere to be seen . Raptors are cool but they need some help , the one i built put the rod though the block with only 45min run time on it so be careful on how high you rev it . Or just pull it apart and do a ARC rod , that's what going in our stock raptor just to be safe . This is JMHO

At the time I bought this engine on '09, I was using the original Tecumseh Powersport 6hp engines I bought with my Lil Indians. Adequate, but uninteresting. Nowhere to go with it, kinda is what it is, not that I would know what to do with it anyway. But instinctively, we're always looking for that 'just a little more' and in my limited understanding, I roughly knew this: a Raptor was like a 10hp engine in a 5hp package, and it would fit in my minibike.

So off I go (you don't mind if I tell you a little story do you?) to Ebay in search of a Raptor and found this one from a builder in Texas, and stuck it in my minibike. Of course, here is when I found out my TAV wouldn't fit the engine in the frame and I bought my first clutch, a cheap Comet, to go with it. Living in the mountains at the time with significant hills in my neighborhood, while it had decent top speed, that sumbitch was like the Flintstones yabbadabbadoo on takeoff (all feet!) and would'nt even make it up my driveway from a dead stop. Who knew about gearing? Plus it was loud with the open header. So the upshot was, at the time, a failed experiment. I drained it and boxed it, there it sat. Until now.

My understanding of these things only moderately improved since then, but being a more active OldMiniBikes member and CASING this site like a criminal, I feel emboldened once again. I like form as well as substance and I like the way the engine looks. If I can ever get the thing to perform as I imagine, I will like it even better. Plus I'm bored. And if I get stuck, I'll just call Havasu Dave (don't run Dave!):laugh: WTF?? He's the Flathead King!

So that's that. It did make me curious though about the history of this engine and I found this: The Briggs Raptor Engine. Pretty cool. High hopes, as always.

Thank you David! That's a great addition to this Raptor chapter.

Yea I remember your blown Raptor saga, so I'll be careful, good advice. I think I might just have to pull my very own personal 'Flathead King' (see above) outta my back pocket to do that very rod change when he comes to Reno in the next sixty days for a 'spawn of his spawn' run (Doh! Did I just spill the beans??:doah:)

Well, stupid is fun and ignorance is bliss..until reality crashes in! I ain't crashed yet, but with all these little tidbits of wisdom seeping in through the cracks, it does tend to arouse even in the deepest asleep. I'm up. :thumbsup:

Alrighty! Got a couple nice days in after all the wind n rain we got here, so I was able to paint and clear coat the tins. Wow! The pics don't do justice. The 2 stage clear coat Havasu Dave recommended to me worked awesome, a rich looking sheen, no cloudiness whatsoever. I've seen some threads about cloudy clear coat, :no: not anymore. See the link above.

Next up is apply the vintage decal and try to put this thing back together without mucking it, which I do so well. Even though it's a Raptor, I'm going for somewhat of a stock look. You know, plain ol' brown wrapper, like yer Gramma's minibike....:wink:

I have a 19" straight header for this engine. My plan is to shorten it quite dramatically (about a foot) and install a clamp-on RLV muffler. I don't want it sticking out past the seat......unless some enlightened ones out there tell me I'm gonna blow something up if I do.

JB, I have a screw in RLV. Slightly dented, but you can have it if it would be a better design and fit for you.

I'd like to hear your opinion and impression of that two stage clear.