Bringing my Nighthawk back to life.

After more than a year of slow and muddled progress I finally decided to get hot and heavy in to the restoration. Since I've not been good about documenting progress along the way I'll just give a quick recap of whats gone down so far.

Here's how it sat semi-dismantled for 14 years in the back of my folks barn.

Re-assembled after stripping and priming the wheels, sprocket and forks.

With it all put back together anhttp://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=19d the carb rebuilt I kinda lost interest in doing anything that would require taking it apart and off of the road....

Finally the week before last I decided to bite the bullet and tear it all down again. Decided to go with Grabber Green and Black.
Here's the forks, wheels and sprocket.

Started stripping the frame a couple days ago but... with only my trusty DeWalt and a cup brush I soon got frustrated with the time consuming process. Needless to say, I should be picking the frame up from the powder coating on Friday.

Planning on painting/cleaning the engine up a little bit tomorrow night.

Started painting on the motor today and while its fine for the block, I cant get the high heat engine paint to lay down smooth at all on the tins. Can I get away with just using normal gloss black spray paint on the pull starter and fly wheel housing?

Started painting on the motor today and while its fine for the block, I cant get the high heat engine paint to lay down smooth at all on the tins. Can I get away with just using normal gloss black spray paint on the pull starter and fly wheel housing?
Come on now.. Someone must know the answer to this. Should I stick with engine enamel or is it ok to spray the shroud and pull starter with regular high gloss?

Got the frame back from powder today and I'm rip roaring to get this thing back together now.

Best thing to do is get them Powder coated Also... I would be willing to do them cheap if you dont mind Shipping them...
Believe me,after seeing how well the frame turned out I want to powder coat every thing I own... I just may take you up on the offer once I get tired of looking at my rattle can forks next to this clean ass frame.

Got the HS40 put back together today with a quickie paint job.

Still planing on a complete tear down at some point... whenever that time comes I'll spring for the replacement decals and paint the rest of the block.

Forgot that I hadn't posted a pic of the roller yet.

If anyone out there's sitting on a pair of fenders I know someone who would put them to good use...

Your bike is looking great so far! :thumbsup: After seeing the couple of Nighthawks being redone here lately it makes me want to drag out my Bird and start on it! Keep up the good work! :pimp:

Popped the motor, tank, and seat back in her so I can driver her around for a bit.

Should have a custom seat coming up in the near future, still gotta find some damn fenders, figure out what to do about the plastic tank(try and paint it again if just replace it with a metal one), and I'm thinking new tires as well.

I'll have to agree with you, the seat and the tank are the only two parts that take away form the bike. The rest of it looks great! Why not paint the tank the same green that you used for the other parts or black would work! Plastic parts are a different animal to paint, but if you prep them correctly you should not be able to tell the difference! You'll need to clean the tank very well and use the primer-sealer that's made for plastics. If you deiced to use another tank and you want to sell that tank pm me! That's one of the parts that was missing when I bought my Bird. Keep up the good. :drinkup:

I'll have to agree with you, the seat and the tank are the only two parts that take away form the bike. The rest of it looks great! Why not paint the tank the same green that you used for the other parts or black would work! Plastic parts are a different animal to paint, but if you prep them correctly you should not be able to tell the difference! You'll need to clean the tank very well and use the primer-sealer that's made for plastics. If you deiced to use another tank and you want to sell that tank pm me! That's one of the parts that was missing when I bought my Bird. Keep up the good. :drinkup:
I painted the tank about a year ago using the plastic specific primer/sealer and paint but it's already bubbling and pealing. I really don't wanna change tanks because this one just fits the frame so perfectly... but I also don't wanna get in the routine of painting and re-painting the damn thing over and over and ov........

I hear ya! The only plastic prep and paint I use is Duplicolor and it has never let me down! Most of the stuff they have now is uv resistant so it should not crack or blister with time. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Liking the paint scheme, have done a few car engines in black, green and silver. As for your tank, maybe it is bubbling due to improper prep or just fuel being spilled on it, gasoline will take spray paint right off. If you do it again use some grease and wax remover, then sand it well with 400 grit, prime it and let it cure, sand it again with 600 or higher, use a tack cloth on it and spray it with the final coat.

I've been way too lazy about updating my build thread... I guess the other guy with a Nighthawk build on the front page has spurred me on.

Thanks to Kenny for hooking me up with a seat back before he was "technically" back into making them. It was a really great gesture.

Also thanks to loveminibike for selling me the set of fenders that had long escaped my grasp. They were a little rough but I've been able to straighten them up pretty well. Painted them tonight and pictures of them to follow.

I'm still trying to decide what to do about the gas tank. I'll probably just strip it again and paint it the Grabber Green, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the plastic resisting the urge to bubble again.

Just got the motor back in after a semi-rebuild. Honed the cylinder, new rings, lapped the valves, and replaced the breather. New clutch as well. She feels a little stronger and the smoke seems to have been somewhat reduced... really can't tell yet with only about an hour of run time so far.

Just got the motor back in after a semi-rebuild. Honed the cylinder, new rings, lapped the valves, and replaced the breather. New clutch as well. She feels a little stronger and the smoke seems to have been somewhat reduced... really can't tell yet with only about an hour of run time so far.
That chain looks rusty, you might want to replace it. Other than that, great bike :thumbsup::thumbsup: