Broke nipple on fuel tank.

Have a 6.5 clone. Broke the nipple off the fuel tank strainer where the fuel line attaches. That's the last time I let my cousin talk me into putting a pipe wrench on the screw driver handle to get more leverage to tighten the hose clamp :shrug:. Now seriously, where can I get a new fuel tank strainer. I have looked on the internet and haven't had much success. Of course if I'm stupid enough to break that tiny nipple, I might be stupid enough to overlook the obvious on the internet. BTW, it may not matter much anyway. I removed the "DO NOT REMOVE" sticker from the engine, and the Chinese authorities are probably after me now. If I end up in a Chinese prison, my wife will sell all my good toys before I can get out. I found a new tank, with fitting for about 15 dollars. But, I don't really want to have to go that route. Somebody please help in my time of ignorance :confused:.

OK. No smart remarks about my stupidity? Your missing a good chance. It's not that I don't make many mistakes, it's that I usually don't make them public knowledge. Thank you for the advice. Shipping would probably end up being about as much on the fitting as on the whole tank. And, the fitting price would probably be about half that of the new tank- which makes buying the new tank sound a lot more reasonable. Making dumb mistakes sure does cost. I'm going to try one more thing. A friend of mine owns a lawn mower shop. Don't know how much he messes with the clones, though. Oh well, thanks again, supernova. Tim.

Motra

That part is the same as the Honda one, so if your buddy has a lawnmower shop he should be able to hook you up real easily.

OK. No smart remarks about my stupidity? Your missing a good chance. It's not that I don't make many mistakes, it's that I usually don't make them public knowledge. Thank you for the advice. Shipping would probably end up being about as much on the fitting as on the whole tank. And, the fitting price would probably be about half that of the new tank- which makes buying the new tank sound a lot more reasonable. Making dumb mistakes sure does cost. I'm going to try one more thing. A friend of mine owns a lawn mower shop. Don't know how much he messes with the clones, though. Oh well, thanks again, supernova. Tim.
Everyone gets a mulligan or two.

Oldsalt

Usually you can drill and tap 1/8 inch pipe thread the heaver potion of the nipple area and screw in a fitting. The fitting can of course be straight or 90 degrees. I recommend that you do not use Teflon tape because to get the fitting tight using that stuff you will usually have to overtighten.

I've done that and because the new fitting is brass [easy to solder] a piece of 'milk' screen is rolled and pinched off at one end. The open end is inserted in the open end of the brass fitting and soldered in place. That solves the filter problem.

If you want some of the fine screen PM me with your address. I'll cut off enough to make several filters and mail it in a envelope. Well, as I have quite a bit of the stuff, if anyone else is interested in having some PM me.

Oldsalt, I appreciate the info and offer. I've got that problem solved. I looked at your "photos" trying to see a picture of what's on your avatar. I can't make out what it is. What is it and do you have a pic of it? Thank you, Tim.

Oldsalt

Oldsalt, I appreciate the info and offer. I've got that problem solved. I looked at your "photos" trying to see a picture of what's on your avatar. I can't make out what it is. What is it and do you have a pic of it? Thank you, Tim.
It is a scale model of a 1895 Mery 6-cycle engine. One quarter scale. Only one original full size engine exists. Was built in Chico CA. It is built like and looks like a steam engine in as much as the piston has a combustion chamber on both sides. That means the connecting rod must be inside one of the combustion chambers. It also has a 'cross-head' like a steam engine on a locomotive. On the original engine the rod was water cooled! It was designed to run on crude oil after being started on benzine or some such liquid. It is a 6-cycle engine because it required an additional exhaust stroke to clean out the gunk. The valves are actuated by eccentrics, not cams! This engine will be run on propane or Coleman Campstove Fuel when finished. Anyone with a small hobby size lathe and etc. can build scale engines. Built my first engine years ago without a mill. I am not talented, anyone can do it.

Last edited:
"Built my first engine years ago without a mill."- I'm impressed. When I worked as a machinist, I wanted to build a small steam engine. A friend loaned me some "store bought" plans. I never found the time. Now I have all the time in the world but don't have access to the machines. If my brother buys my mother's house from me and the VA quits jerking me around about my disability, there won't be a lack of machines. I just have to be patient. Tim.