Brooklyn Bonanza Chopper Project

Ok so lets see, the last post was in May 9, 2009... lord, that almost 8 years ago. There is 1 hour of time on the hour meter. 1 HOUR! It has sat in various apartments and storage units for all these years because: life. I finally got it out of the unit last weekend and we began to get reacquainted. Tomorrow is the first ride! I didn't ride it more than 3-4 times in Brooklyn because there just weren't any good places to and I was afraid the police would just snatch it up and disappear-it - as they are wont to do. Can't stand NYC police! Ever get a $300 ticket for running a red light on a bicycle? I have gotten 2! Anyway, I moved to Baltimore - not a life upgrade by any stretch of the imagination (except for the female living companion) but way less people and I did find a good-looking place to ride which is half dirt/half pavement, out in the far reaches of a yet-to-be-finished office complex near my work. Looks like that place will remain undeveloped for a while yet so I'm going to use it!

I totally forgot all that I went though to get this thing together and re-reading this thread has informed me about that thrilling process and also informed me about just what engine I purchased way back when.

Here's the thing, there is NO CHOKE on the carb. :doah: WHY? Why is there no choke? Its a bitch to start and today I got it started it for the first time in 8.5 years by putting a plastic bag over the air filter and holding it tightly until it chugged to life. Is that the process? Does anyone know of a better way to start a motor with no choke? WHY DOES IT HAVE NO CHOKE?!?!?

It feels good to be back and I can't wait to ride tomorrow!

-jonathan

Last edited:
Good to see you back. Your pics are gone so I can't see what you're working with. If the engine came from NR, maybe call Russell. Some of the bore carbs eliminate the choke. Not my preference. Dover Power builds a killer stock appearing carb that retains the choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey minibikin', you are correct, it's a bored out carb from NR. I'm guessing when boring out a carb somehow the stock choke is rendered unusable?

Hey minibikin', you are correct, it's a bored out carb from NR. I'm guessing when boring out a carb somehow the stock choke is rendered unusable?
I'm honestly. It familiar with the NR stuff. I've never used them for anything, but in general yes, the choke is removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk