Brooklyn Bonanza Chopper Project

Ok, I'm back with more developments, I'll continue to list the expenses as I've continued to spend lots of money. From NR Racing I ordered the GX200 - "Limited Stock" and added a billet rod and linkage, and that awesome new dual exhaust pipe they just put on there. - $800 total. I will post a pic when it arrives in a week or so.

As I mentioned in the earlier project description, I had a hell of a time getting my front and rear wheels apart. I then proceeded to clean the wheels up, prime them and then finally paint them. I know some of you will be horrified that I painted these wheels but hell, the people of the future can soak them in paint thinner if they wish to do a proper restoration, they are in fact being protected for the future generation by being coated in thick paint. :thumbsup:

Then I wanted to do a nice thin red stripe around the outer edge of the wheel so I got some auto touch-up paint and put the wheel on a bearing and spun it while carefully holding the touch-up brush very still. Looked awesome for exactly 2 minutes until that paint somehow totally f**ked up the black underneath causing it to crinkle up . I was so mad! I had to sand the wheel edge down and repaint it. So then I got this neat reflective pinstriping tape from this place: Reflective Pin Striping (I also picked up some cool black reflective chevrons for my motorcycle helmet while was there to make the shipping price seem more reasonable, but I digress).

As you can see in the pic, it works very well!

-j
Well You copied my wheels! I dont mind they look great this way. I did the same thing black paint and red pin stripe tape and then clear coat. I dont know if i could justify 800 on a engine that wasnt gold plated and diamond encrusted?

Actually, I believe I first saw this paint style on a cheap set of steel wheels on a Jeep once... Doesn't matter, I'm don't claim to be a poineer when it comes to color schemes obviously, but wherever the inspiration came from, its such a good look! You did a really nice job on that bike! I plan to do a pearl frame with gloss black components with red cables and gas line. Such a long way from here to there, but I don't want it to end...

As for the motor, what the hell, I spent most of my tax return on stocks (which are quite cheap nowadays in case you haven't noticed -the whole financial meltdown and all) and the rest on the motor, its like found money, plus I like Hondas. I read on here in one of these posts "you'll always want more power", so I though I'd spend a lot on a good foundation which will readily accommodate performance upgrades in the future if I desire. I'm going to need something to mess around with when this thing's all done!

-j

Last edited:
Jimmy J

Ha, thanks. I did spend about 5 hours on that, I will admit it... I probably started on the footpegs about noon, maybe even a bit earlier, and had the whole mess cleaned up by about 5pm. I did do a test run before I went ahead and cut both pegs down and did the final modifications, so it was like I did three AND I had lunch too! I was so mad that Jimmy J won at Martinsville, the bastard! He won when I was there two years ago, I was even more mad then!

-j
And on the same team and driving a Chevy #5 Mark Martin what's with that ?
But he is my favorite driver. Keep up the good work on you project and it's good that your still having fun .
Steve :scooter:

update

Just dented my tank. Good times! Made the mistake of putting a 1/4" thick rectangle of rubber between the tank and the bracket and when I cinched down the clamps, that motherf**king piece of rubber caved in the top of the tank. Ok, maybe "caved in" is dramatic, but I broke out in a sweat when I saw the dent. It will be fine, I will learn to live with the dent. I will get some 1/8" thick rubber. :doah:

Today I was sitting at my desk and the phone rang, it was the mail room; the guy on the other end said "The FedEx guy is here, he has a package for you, its leaking. He wants to know if you are willing to accept it." I was like, wtf? I couldn't recall any packages that I was waiting for so I went up and the FedEx guy and the mailroom guy were standing around a big box on the floor with an N.R. Racing sticker on it, a week early! One corner of the box was darkened from some kind of liquid. I opened up the box and there was my new motor! It must have sat on a side other than what was clearly marked as UP for a while and oil left over from the dyno run leaked out of the breather. The dyno sheet says 11.53HP at 4500rpm, not too shabby!. Sadly I had to leave it at work because I was on my bicycle today but I'll bring it home tomorrow.

-j

Last edited:
Steve, I do think it would be really cool for Mark Martin to get on victory lane this year. Also, I can't help but want Dale Jr. to win some races and a few years back I decided to root for Greg Biffle because he kind of flies under the radar and I think thats cool. Hell, I'd have an easier time saying who I didn't want to win. I'm always like, anyone but this one or that one! But enough of this non-mini bike talk!

-j

jackshaft bearings

Can anyone tell me the best method for pressing the jackshaft bearings into the jackshaft tabs (or whatever those things are called)? They are a very tight fit. Obviously they do fit because I can push them about 1/3 of the way in with my fingers but I'm afraid to hammer them in there because I want to be able to take them out again for when I tear this thing down and get it powdercoated. Sorry for the bad pic but you get the idea I'm sure.

-j

Last edited:
I would lightly sand the inside of the bearing hangers to clear any burrs or nicks that the bearing might be hanging up on. Go lightly - you don't want the bearings to be loose or rattle in the hanger.

A rubber mallet or a plastic dead blow hammer are perfect for tapping things into place while minimizing the risk of damage.

You should be able to push them in all the way by hand. They should be tight but not tight enough that you need to beat on them. Take some emery cloth and polish up the inside of the hole on the mounting tabs. If your having it powder coated you will have to cut the coating out of there to reassemble. You can just go around the hole with an exacto knife. But your doing the right thing by cleaning up the tabs before hand. Also make sure there square.:scooter:

motor

Ok, so here's the motor that arrived yesterday from NR Racing. Of course it just doesn't seem to fit with the exhaust I chose, why would it? Why should I have expected it to when nothing else I have ordered has fit? I have a seemingly endless supply of hope. That is a CURSE! :censure:
:censure:

This is what was done to the motor:

Stock GX200 Race prepped including, Open Element Air Filter Assembly, Pressure tested 3 angle valve job, removal of governor, 18 lb Valve Springs, Small fan, Advanced Timing, mild ported & milled Head, REV Kit, Bored carb, and Valve Cover w/nipple, 1.2 Rockers Arms, billet rod, billet linkage ~9.3 to 1 compression .

Blah blah blah... Going to bed. Good night.

-j

Last edited:
motor placement front view

Clearly it's just too far out to the right side, I'm so not into drilling new holes for the motor, let alone slots. F - that.

-j

As in gunsmithing,, when ever possible work on the cheapest easiest to replace part,,,, so No, do not drill for the engine and work on a custom exhaust. An adapter plate might work but you want the engine centered anyway.

You know, a Tecumseh would have been so much easier! The square peg round hole thing can cause problems and cost money.

bummer about the tank. Hope you have better luck.

Of course GTO, you are right, it was late, I was tired, wasn't thinking clearly. I'm going to figure out another exhaust and I'll concede the Tecumseh point to you as well. I'm just a Honda fan and I know they run well and forever and I liked all the high-performance parts available. Another thing I noticed with this motor is that it's practically rendered my footpegs unusable, mere ornaments! Oh well, I'll make it all work some how. I kind of feel like I need to take a break from this project...

-j

Keep the faith Brother!!
Bonanza used an adapter with the Hodaka CR-500
I'd be more concerned about keeping the front end on the ground that looks like one mean serious motor.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the encouragement! I have to let go of that beautiful twin pipe exhaust... Sad, but then again, I had some misgivings about running no muffler, so now I will get a pipe with a muffler. Its all good. Love this forum!

I'm looking forward to learning to ride a wheelie on this thing!

-j

All projects that are worth it have minor setbacks. You've come to far to stop now. That engine looks awesome. Should be plenty of power. Just takes a bit of finaggling to get it figured out.:thumbsup: