Buffalo build begins

trailramdan

Looks great

I finally got the wheels mounted on the hubs. The lug bolts were all buggered up so had to cut them out and weld in new ones. The hard part was just finding the bolts. 1/2-20 x 1 1/4 grade 8 bolts are hard to come by in my neck of the woods, especially on new years eve. I'm going to have to take the wheels back off when the brakes get here, just wanted to see what it was going to look like with the tires on.

She's looking good. :thumbsup: I like the tires.....let me know how she rolls...I may have to switch out my front lopsided tire.
I got one of these for my kickstand....Socket button head, Alloy steel black oil finish, 3/8"-16 - Bolt Depot

It helps the kickstand spring get over the head of the bolt!
Thanks. The kick stand is next on my fix it list. I've got to try and find a spring that will fit and be stiff enough to keep the stand from bouncing when riding over rough terrain.

That bike looks great, can you tell me where you got the wheels from and how wide are they. I'm trying to find a wheel for my super bronc

Thanks. The kick stand is next on my fix it list. I've got to try and find a spring that will fit and be stiff enough to keep the stand from bouncing when riding over rough terrain.
I haven't found one yet that is stiff enough. I put a few more turns on the Kickstand bolt and nut to hold it up......or down.

That bike looks great, can you tell me where you got the wheels from and how wide are they. I'm trying to find a wheel for my super bronc
I got the wheels from etrailer.com they are 8x7 with a 4 on 4 bolt pattern and a 0 offset. I had a little trouble at first finding wheels to fit because I didn't know they measure the width of a wheel from bead seat to bead seat. I spent a whole afternoon looking for non existent 8x8 wheels ( retraction: 8x8 wheels do exist, just couldn't find any with a 0 offset and a 4 on 4 bolt pattern) :doah:.

Last edited:
I picked up a tank on Ebay that fits the buffalo just right. Now I just have to fab up some sort of mount and strap system to hang it with. I'm hoping to get quite a bit done on the bike this weekend, but still missing a few crucial parts. I've got axle bearings and brake components ordered but they haven't arrived as of yet. I'd really like to get that stuff installed before I try to mount the engine and torque converter

Thanks Marlinmate, but I already ordered a set from Peewee. They should arriving today hopefully.
I did have a question for you though. When you installed your brake band, did it completely cover the drum? Mine only seems to be braking on half of the band, and I was wondering if I had them installed wrong?
Thanks

Regarding the brake band....I had to shim something (can't remember what) to get it to line up. (pretty sure I used washers)

It was either the brake drum shimmed on the back to move it out towards the brake band, or it was shimming the brake band mount to move it closer to the brake drum.....or a combo of both. :confused:

I'll look when I get home tonight and shoot a pic and post.

I checked.....and its hard to photograph, but I did use some washers (2) to move the sprocket away from the wheel hub (and get it inline with the front engine sprocket)and also used washers to move the brake drum out from the sprocket.

Hope this helps

I checked.....and its hard to photograph, but I did use some washers (2) to move the sprocket away from the wheel hub (and get it inline with the front engine sprocket)and also used washers to move the brake drum out from the sprocket.

Hope this helps
Thanks MM. I was going at it from the wrong end. I trying to figure out if the brake band mount was supposed to be on the outside or between the frame and the hub. I'll play around with the spacing of the drum after work tonight.