Calling all Briggs experts?

07D675

I'm putting my 3 1/2 hp Briggs back together and need some torque spec for the side cover. It's an old flathead but I'm not sure of the year because it has a different pull start cover on it. I found the specs on the head bolts and the flywheel nut but nothing on the side cover. Thanks in advance.

I'm putting my 3 1/2 hp Briggs back together and need some torque spec for the side cover. It's an old flathead but I'm not sure of the year because it has a different pull start cover on it. I found the specs on the head bolts and the flywheel nut but nothing on the side cover. Thanks in advance.
My old Briggs book has the torque for all 60000,80000,90000,& 120000 Model Series crankcase covers at 85 in. Lbs.

07D675

Here are some pics of the engine. I'm not sure what size it is because the original pull start was replaced. Same as another I have. How can I find out what size engine it is w/out the correct pull start cover which is where all of the info is? Maybe someone can tell me from the piston size?

Here are some pics of the engine. I'm not sure what size it is because the original pull start was replaced. Same as another I have. How can I find out what size engine it is w/out the correct pull start cover which is where all of the info is? Maybe someone can tell me from the piston size?

Looks like you have a 2.3750" bore which should make your briggs a 3 hp or possibly 2 1/2 hp.

look at the head. if you are looking at the cover, the far right side between the first two fins there should be a number. if it is a 3 hp it should have an 8 or an 8c. as far as the year I believe there is a year stamped on the back side of the flywheel if I am not mistaken. other than that no idea. Just for kicks if the number is a 10 it is an old 4 hp witch has the "high compression head" as some of us here call because stock it is .010 thinner than a stock 5 hp. and also a true 5hp has a 13 stamped in the head.

07D675

Thanks Steve, I just checked both Briggs I have and both are cast 8C. From the style of the carbs, I think one is alot older than the other. This might be another clue as to the years. I appreciate the info.

Reassembled ready for test run

Just finished assembling this Briggs and painted it. I cleaned and polished the carb and sandblasted the muffler. I know they're only a few bucks but I have access to a blast cabinet at work and it was in good condition so...
I just need to blast and paint the tank and run this baby. The early pics in this thread show the engine internals were in good clean condition so I cleaned the block and head and installed new gaskets and painted it. The flywheel cover was not original but works fine. Not sure if it's a 3 or 3 1/2 hp. The head has an 8C on it. Doesn't matter, I still think it turned out ok and hope it runs good. Cylinder was in great shape... :thumbsup:
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I used a Krylon gloss white in a spray can. Several light coats but it was cold in the garage...:thumbdown: Still came out ok compared to the way it looked. The fins were coated in mud, grass and pollen from the jurassic era.

Thanks all... I DID have some "Chevy Orange" sittin' around,(HighTemp) but white goes with everything and had more of it so... We'll see.

Nice Job man, You'll like that 3hp if you just like cruising around. Many people miss judge them, but i like mine. It gets me from point A to point B pretty well. Im going to be painting mine soon. John

Well... It runs; and NO SMOKE!!! No internal noises, although I think the flywheel nut needs to be replaced. It was squeeling once it fired up but I was able to make it stop by tugging on the pull start. I have one on another engine that I SHOULD'VE USED since it has less play in it, but..it was very late at night and I was rushing to get it done and I think we've all been there at one point. Happiness is a couple bolts away.....:thumbsup:

good work, motor probably has more paint on it now than it did on the day it rolled off the line, don't forget that piece of sheet metal that wraps the cylender, it helps keep it cool, plus it's a good place to put a sticker,lol
dave

Thanks Dave, but it was missing when I got the motor. I have a donor motor with a stuck intake valve that I can use parts from tho'. Cylinder is scored, have'nt opened it up yet... I'm afraid to :scared: