Can my engine break with billet rod and flywheel?

This is my setup:

2 stage header
22mm mikuni and UNI filter
mikuni fuel pump and pulse
18 lb valve springs
.275" custom ground cam
billet rod and flywheel
flat top piston and file fit rings
indexed spark plug

I am running a 12 tooth clutch and a 72 tooth sprocket. My question is, can I go full throttle for an extended period of time or can my engine explode? I know valve float will be my limiting factor, but what will happen if I go top speed? I am wondering because I want to see what my max speed is but I am afraid of ruining the engine. Am I being overly cautious?

Last edited:
Yes you can break an engine even with Billet parts.

The way you ride and how you gear your engine are important.

It all comes back understanding what you want.
If you are building a little off road machine that needs to climb then gear it for that.

If you building a drag bike then gear and drive it like a drag bike but don't expect it will run forever at 8500 rpm without blowing up.

Someplace in the midle there is a bike and gearing solution that will allow you to run on a smooth flat at high speed but remember your going to need brakes to stop it.

In each and every case its the rider that controls how fast the engine will turn and you should not expect the engine ( through valve float ect ) to prevent damage by some limiting factor in it's build.

Valve float is imminent if you are running those springs with a .275 cam I would think. I thought you said you going with 26# in another thread?
Yes i have the aftermarket retainer and keeper set (i wont put this in until I get the new springs) but I havent ordered the 26# springs yet because my first order had the 18# in it so I thought I would try those first

just don't keep it wound out (like top speed) for too long and you'll be fine.

jesse does have a valid point though.
Okay. I got it up to 45mph and it will go faster, I just wasn't sure how far I could take it before something bad happens??? It's on a bonanza with 14" tires and a 12 clutch with a 72 rear

anything and everything will break. When i race my bike i try to blow it up when i make a pass i have billet crank billet rod ecs. If your racing it is hard on stuff period

:doah: Hello Mr. Obvious... Long time listener, first time caller.. :laugh:
aren't you in the wrong section? :laugh:

Okay. I got it up to 45mph and it will go faster, I just wasn't sure how far I could take it before something bad happens??? It's on a bonanza with 14" tires and a 12 clutch with a 72 rear
if you want to top it out and have a billet rod/flywheel then go for it. they'll take some abuse but there is a fail point with them. don't be stupid about it and you'll be fine.