Can this chrome be fixed?

I messed up when trying to restore the chrome and first tried to get all the rust off with a green pad and now its all faded. Anyone know if I can fix the scratches now in the chrome? I tried rubbing compound and no luck. You can see the difference in the finish between the two. Luckily I only messed up the back fender:

I used simple green to get off the dirt and rubbing compound to get rid of the rust. There are still small rust spots everywhere. Anyone know how to get these out or is it impossible?

blue-job might do it (Harley dealer might carry it). it will get melted boot off of pipes. you have to be careful or you can wear through the chrome though. i'd also try some decent chrome cleaner. i also wouldn't use rubbing compound on chrome. it's too abrasive and will scratch it up a lot.

if it's pitted from the rust and scratched quite a bit, it's probably time to get it re-chromed.

worst case you totally hahahaha it up and have to get it re-chromed anyways.

i spent several years detailing Harleys so i dealt with a lot of chrome.

You'll need a mechanical means such as a buffing wheel on a bench grinder. Works good for me, and I just use mother's mag polish on the wheel.

Chrome is way too hard to be able to phase it by hand.

You'll need a mechanical means such as a buffing wheel on a bench grinder. Works good for me, and I just use mother's mag polish on the wheel.

Chrome is way too hard to be able to phase it by hand.

I've used a very fine wire wheel on chrome before and it works. I think they're called a "carting wheel"? Not sure on the spelling. I know gunsmiths sometimes use them to polish the blueing on guns.

I've used a very fine wire wheel on chrome before and it works. I think they're called a "carting wheel"? Not sure on the spelling. I know gunsmiths sometimes use them to polish the blueing on guns.
I thought it was called cafing but could be wrong, it's what you did for old school real deal bluing before the toxic police stepped in.

If the chrome is pitted (like it looks) I will never be perfect.

Oldsalt

INJUNTOM has it right, use a buffing wheel. The damaged chrome will polish out pretty well. However, like GTO said, the rust pits will still be there. If you are not putting together a muesum quality restoration of an exceedingly rare and valusble minibike don't sweat the tiny pits.

I have a tub of mother's mag polish so I'll try that on a buffer. I'm aware it'll never be perfect but I'm willing to invest the time (not money) to get it as best as it can be given the original condition.

I used my Dremel 2000 and 4 differnt polishing wheels and some Zep 5 star, and got mine looking "Better", I think Better is about as good as it gets. I know Home Depot starting selling Zep stuff, not sure if you can get it there, but 5 star is great at polishing the next to impossible. Might be able to order a tube at zep.com. Good Luck - Let us know how it turns out, if there is a better way, with less work, I'd love to find it. :grind: