Can you help identify this?

I purchased a project mini bike. I am having a hard time finding what kind of engine I have. I want to buy a spark plug, find out the clearance for the magneto, etc.

First mini bike ever. I am a retired engineer and am looking forward to working on this with my grandsons. The shaft is 3/4".

Any help would be appreciated. IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5049.JPG IMG_5048.JPG IMG_5049.JPG IMG_5052.JPG IMG_5053.JPG WPLD7745.JPG XWEA8844.JPG

Hard to tell the year. Those Briggs engines looked the same for many years. Somebody else may be able to get you to a closer dating of the motor.

Addicted 2 Minis

Before spending a bunch of money on what may be a bad engine, make sure the crank isn't bent. I see a large gap between the flywheel and coil, if you turn the engine over by hand and the gap gets smaller or the flywheel looks like it's wobbling, the crank is bent or the flywheel is loose. It may be someone just didn't install the coil correctly if you don't observe the flywheel wobble or if the gap doesn't change.

markus

It should be a 5hp/130000 series, just to be safe and sure look in the left front corner of the head for a #13 cast in between the fins. and it is a later style with magnetron ignition.

If it definitely is a 5hp the coil air gap is .010-.014"

Some typical plugs that can be used on those are as follows; Champion CJ8, RCJ8, RJ19HX, J19LM, and RJ19LM the Plug gap is .030"

Nice Lil indian Outlaw chopper BTW, not one you see too often!

It should be a 5hp/130000 series, just to be safe and sure look in the left front corner of the head for a #13 cast in between the fins. and it is a later style with magnetron ignition.

If it definitely is a 5hp the coil air gap is .010-.014"

Some typical plugs that can be used on those are as follows; Champion CJ8, RCJ8, RJ19HX, J19LM, and RJ19LM the Plug gap is .030"

Nice Lil indian Outlaw chopper BTW, not one you see too often!

Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate it. Should be fun getting it back into shape.

Before spending a bunch of money on what may be a bad engine, make sure the crank isn't bent. I see a large gap between the flywheel and coil, if you turn the engine over by hand and the gap gets smaller or the flywheel looks like it's wobbling, the crank is bent or the flywheel is loose. It may be someone just didn't install the coil correctly if you don't observe the flywheel wobble or if the gap doesn't change.
Thank you. The coil is at an angle. I used feeler gages as i rotated the crank to measure the gap. Looks fine but I appreciate the heads up.

Very nice chopper! I just picked up a outlaw and it is cool to see another one survives. this makes number 6 I have ever seen and I have only seen one that has been restored. never seen one in person. there is not much information out there but this is what I have hope this helps they were made only one year 1969 came with the 3hp briggs very rare and you are lucky to have one!!! happy building and come show off your bike on the Lil Indian group on face book hope to see ya there 6573836D-BA03-4DEA-A8A5-E25704363D0D.jpeg 75AEA493-E5CB-499B-BA1F-D3275EE6CC1F.jpeg 2A0B642E-89AE-4057-B46F-7F4FB0CEEDA6.jpeg

Attachments

Couple Things I noticed: First welcome to OldMiniBikes. Love the Chopper! Regarding the Briggs, if I'm looking at your picture correctly, it appears that the Mag is bolted fixed to the block? The slotted adjustment holes are above the fixed bolt area. I checked through my pictures of Briggs builds and do not recall a coil like that. Is there an adjustable bracket behind it? It was common to use a 3hp flywheel and coil with a dropped bracket as a performance upgrade, but your flywheel looks to be a 5hp diameter.
Second, beware trying to fit the larger 5hp Briggs into the Chopper frames. There normally isn't enough clearance for the rear mounted tank beneath the Pulse A jet carb. I wouldn;t cut or modify the frame in any way if it were me. You could use the Briggs with a Tecumseh carb/intake, or other aftermarket carb/intake and a remote tank.
Just food for thought before you get too deep into things. :scooter:

I agree with minibikin- Something is REAL funky with that coil. The correct coil (Magnetron) for that engine is Briggs part # 397358. That being said, before you start spending a lot of $$ on that engine I would start looking for any "deal breakers" problems (cost wise) on that engine, especially the crank and bore condition (scoring or excessive wear of either). That engine is not rare or expensive and you could find another suitable and (most likey) running engine for not that much $$.
Michael