Can you help me identify my bike please?

Hello all.
I've been trying to figure out what my mini bike is for some time, and in searching the net i came across this site, so i thought i'd ask seeing how you guy's really know these things.

Here's a little back ground.
My dad bought this for me when i was 5 years old, i'm now 38.
He remembers a local kid riding it around a drive in he used to check on when he joined the Sheriff's dept back around1967.
Around 1979 he bought it from the father of that kid. He was the owner of the drive in, and i guess it sat in a shed for years.

Anyway, my dad feel's it's from the early-mid 60's judging from when he saw it back then but i have had no luck locating one that looks like it online to figure it out.
It has a 2.5 Tecumseh engine.
The frame really appears to have the original paint.
The only things that are missing are the front fender which it didn't have from day one, and the air cleaner which i took off and have not looked for in years, but i have it somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated..
I just want to know what it is and a year for my own interest. I doubt i'd ever get rid of it now, i'll just pass it on to family.

Really hope someone can help me out..
Thanks in advance!!

Tony

Last edited:
WOW that was fast!!
Thanks SO much! Now I just need to try and come up with a year but just knowing what it is after all these years is great!!!
I did run the model number on the motor and its a may 2 code so I'm thinking it may be a 62.

Thanks again!
Tony

Can't tell from the picture if it has the early notched shroud with the offset spark plug...if so then it could be '62......recoil is not '62 and it looks like it might have a plastic gas tank. Could be a bunch of parts swapped out on it. There really is no way to exactly date the motor only the tin work.

Take a few close ups of the engine and the tag w/ serial #........:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'll double check the shroud and plug tonight but i so think there is a notch. And you are right the tank and recoil have been changed.
Thanks for the help!! Really appreciate it.

Huh. I thought 2525 was year, month and day. At least from what I found online on decoding Tecumseh engines. So I was thinkin may 25th and 62.
How did you come up with your info? Not doubting, just trying to learn and understand.
Plus can't figure how my dad saw it before then. Hahaha

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Tont

date code is in the serial #

Serial 0226 12723

The first number "0" is the year...either '60, '70, or '80 ....

'60 is realy early...Lauson/Power Products stuff
'70 would have the riveted tag (like yours)
'80 would have no tag...stamped on top of the shroud

the next 3 numbers...."226" in this case, is the day of the year it was made....Aug. 14th (unless it's a leap year :rolleyes:)

the other 5 digits have to do with the type of appplication, pto configuration, crank, carburetion(bowl or diaphragm), etc.....

Briggs is a whole 'nother story......

Last edited:
date code is in the serial #

Serial 0226 12723

The first number "0" is the year...either '60, '70, or '80 ....

'60 is realy early...Lauson/Power Products stuff
'70 would have the riveted tag (like yours)
'80 would have no tag...stamped on top of the shroud

the next 3 numbers...."226" in this case, is the day of the year it was made....Aug. 14th (unless it's a leap year :rolleyes:)

the other 5 digits have to do with the type of appplication, pto configuration, crank, carburetion(bowl or diaphragm), etc.....

Briggs is a whole 'nother story......

THANK YOU for explaining!! Makes sense to me.
Now I have to go tease my dad and tell him he was seeing things!
Either way I'm really happy to know what it is.
I'm still going to check the motor/ head later.

Tony