Hello all
some of you may have seen my intro thread. but here is the restore thread
this restore will be done most by my son who is currently 11 years old
this is what he started with
2.JPG

he rebuilt the engine last year in our 4H Multi Club project
3.JPG
4.jpg

he originally painted it white because that is what color it was when we got it, but have now found out it should be silver
6.jpg

and he put it back in the bike for his 4H achievement day that year
7.JPG

so parts that we know of right now that we are going to be replacing or putting back on are

handle bars-purchased from a fellow restorer
fenders
reflectors
tires
taillight
driven clutch- had on given to us
jack shaft- had a new one made
jack shaft bearings- found new ones at my place of employment
driven sprocket- ordered one from my farm supply place
chain
foot pegs- purchased from a fellow restorer
kill switch

so i keep forgetting to take pictures of the stuff i work on for my son
here is a picture of the rear fender. it has a sticker on it. is it something i should be trying to save
9.jpg
also shows what sort of condition the fender is in
after talking to some others on here i have found out that the fenders available online are not what they seem to be
so i think we will try to polish up the old ones and go from there

also here is some pictures of the headlight bucket. i know the rubber is not correct but i dont think i will find the proper rubber anytime soon
soo this will have to work for now
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

so finally an update
got the original fenders cleaned up.i am finding that replacement fenders arent correct so i think that the originals will be just fine. I dont think i am going to rechrome them they turned out really nice i think. i have a guy thats going to bring some wipe on stuff to protect them
here is some before and after pictures.
rear fender before
9.jpg
rear fender after
9b.JPG
front fender sort of a bad shot. forgot to take one before starting work on it
13.jpg
this is just after i ground of all the rust
14.JPG
front fender after
15.JPG

What magic process or product did you use to take a ground fender and make it look like that without rechroming? Those look great. Do tell.
It looks like the fenders were replaced with new ones they look so good.
Yes, I'm baffled at how the fender that was ground on ended up polished. I have some genuine rusty fenders and would like to restore them if I can. CDNCLIMBER, please let us know what you did.
Thanks everyone
well guys it is just some simple elbow grease.
i started with about an 80 grit paper on a random sander and worked up to 800 grit paper. then i used some steel wool with some metal polish to get the final shine. they are not as silver or shinny as chrome but they are ORIGINAL.
the stuff that i am going to put on it is called shark hide i think. google it its cool stuff

Ding Ding

Well, good job. To take a grinder to chrome and have it come out the other side with no grinder marks means you used several tubes of elbow grease!