Can't resist a survivor...

Oldsalt

I'm so happy with this thing I had to post something about it.

I took the attached pic of the Studebaker truck a little while after I bought it today. Could not turn it down. This machine has no dents. Runs. Only 26 000 miles. Seat is perfect and no tears. Dash and instruments are is as good as anything can be that is that old. The original piece of cardboard that the factory placed in the glove box door [that tells about tire pressure and etc] is still there!

This survivor will not be touched. Sure, this old farm truck is weathered but it is almost impossible to find anything in this original shape...I'd rather have this one than another that someone had pimped-up. Some people have too much time on their hands and ruin survivors. To 'restore' it would be a sin. Paid $1200 for the old girl. The tires are all poor so that will cost at least $1800. Was originally bought here in Walla Walla and still has the original license plate frame from the dealer!

Last edited:
Wow thats something.
You just don't find things like that up here on acount of road salt.

You should just repair what it needs and preserve it as is.

Nothing says I am a survivor like some pattina ....

Oldsalt

Wow thats something.
You just don't find things like that up here on acount of road salt.

You should just repair what it needs and preserve it as is.

Nothing says I am a survivor like some pattina ....
Here is another one of my old Studebakers. It also has plenty of pattina.

This one has a S-10 chassis and a late model 350 truck engine. It was so far gone [submerged in a river]that it could not be fixed to make it a runner any other way.

That is me in the driver's sat in case you wonder what I look like.

Last edited:

WrenchDad

that truck is really cool! You say you pulled that car out of a river! Thats awsome you found a way to get it back on the road. Not bad skills for a dog,I was impressed by the typing:laugh:

Oldsalt

that truck is really cool! You say you pulled that car out of a river! Thats awsome you found a way to get it back on the road. Not bad skills for a dog,I was impressed by the typing:laugh:
The sedan was setting next to a river and a flood came along and undermined the bank it was on so that even after the water went down it was submerged to about mid way on the doors. It was pulled out finally by a large tractor. They put a big chain on the front bumper and totally destroyed it. The wheels would not turn. The car now has a 53 Studebaker bumper. For instance, the dash knobs are so rusted in the switches and etc. that you can't move them. There was 500 lbs of sand came out of the frame and body before I got it mounted on the late model Chevy chassis. Most folks think it still has the original engine and frame and etc.

Very nice Oldsalt:thumbsup:
I know it pales by comparison, but I have a '74 Ford one ton dually that I bought off of the original owner with 19,000 original miles on the clock. Everyone wants me to paint it, but I like patina:smile:. I also had to put new rubber on it, cost as much as the truck did:doah:

If you clean it real good with lime-solv, and then clear it with flat clear it will preserve the look.

Nothing like cruising around in an old truck with a mini in the back, (like my avatar) thats a 56 f100 that i own and use alot.