Capguncowboy's 1970 Rupp Roadster - JFF

capguncowboy

I finally received the screws I ordered for the exhaust shields. Turns out the tap I used bottomed out before it could really make good clean cuts, so I ended up having to grind the threads on the screws down a little bit towards the end to make it work.

I got it all mocked up, but I'm not crazy about how it looks. I'm debating on whether I should paint the pipe black or silver and leave the shields alone, since they're not too bad -- or if I should paint the entire thing -- or just leave it alone ? Some feedback from the masses would be nice.

I would either paint the pipe black or silver. I think it would look good with either color. I would most likely go black being your engine is silver. I would leave the shield alone. By the way the engine looks great. Silver and green is gonna look sharp. :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

It's Duplicolor silver engine enamel. UPC 026916916501. You can get it at about any AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts store. Maybe O'Reilly or others too.

After the paint cured (at least a week), I shot it with Eastwood's 2K Urethane high-gloss clear coat. The clear changed the color of the silver a little but it still looks great.

capguncowboy

yes, I figured if I wanted it to match exactly, I had better do both with the same paint. The only difference that I primed the tank before painting it. The engine didn't get primed because the paint, because I didn't have any high-heat primer here at the time. The can says it doesn't need it, but I figured I'd use it on the tank just to be safe since I used Bondo on it

capguncowboy

when you get time and want to have the pipe done in high heat black, yank it and send it and I will do it for ya gratis.
I might take you up on that offer!

I got my frame back today and immediately started assembling everything. Timothy is a professional in every sense of the word. I am blown away at the amazing job he did getting this frame PC'd for me.

I ran into a few fitment issues as I was putting it back together. The inner race on the neck tube bearings are a little taller than the previous bearings, so I ground them down a little so the upper forks would slide on. I also had to drill out the holes in the frame for the snap rivets that hold the seat cover on. I also snapped the plate off of the gas tank will installing the petcock. I'm not sure if it will hold or not, but I put some epoxy on it and pressed it back into place. It seems to be doing fine so far, so hopefully that will take care of it.

I'm at stand still now until I get the new tubes and tires put on my wheels. I'm going to swing by a local motorcycle shop today and have them do it. They charge a small enough rate, that it's not worth the risk of poking a hole in one of the tubes. Hopefully he'll be able to do them today so I don't have to wait until next week to get them on the bike.

Next up is getting the engine placed on the frame, and the exhaust and clutch guard bolted on. Everything seems to be going faster than I had expected. Words can't express how excited I am!