Carb Replacement

Why do so many people replace their carbourators? Don't they ever just need replacement parts or cleaning. I guess if you take yours to someone to get it cleaned it may just be more cost effective to replace right? Is it lack of knowledge or experience? It seems that carbs are the most likely culpret of non-running engines. I've never replaced a carb myself just cleaned with some Yamalube chamber cleaner.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

What would it cost you to "take it to someone"? My guess is more than $15 which will buy a new carburetor on an auction site. For most, it's not worth messing with...

What would it cost you to "take it to someone"? My guess is more than $15 which will buy a new carburetor on an auction site. For most, it's not worth messing with...
My point precisely. To clean it only takes time and a bit of solvent of sorts. I guess some people have more money than time.

Sometimes they need a little more than soaking. I would rather clean and save an original one when possible.
Same for me. Let it sit in a metal bread pan for 2-3 days sometimes. Depends how green the previous owner got it from using ethanol gas. [emoji17][emoji17]

On the other hand, she wore a glove, but that's not important. When you start upping the performance of the engine the carb becomes a weak point. Doesn't flow enough for the engine's need. So you go to a larger carb and/or better performing one.

On the other hand, she wore a glove, but that's not important. When you start upping the performance of the engine the carb becomes a weak point. Doesn't flow enough for the engine's need. So you go to a larger carb and/or better performing one.
That I understand but replacing a carb for the same one when troubleshooting an engine?

You haven't been here for any length of time but if you did a search you would find many who have tried to revive original carbs only to fail in the end. It's not entirely an issue of money over brains. You spent more than $15 for your mini didn't you? Personally, I can rebuild a carb with a blindfold on. Do I, no. My time is best spent on larger aspects of a build. Every engine I've ever had come in automatically gets ignition timed/points serviced and a new carb. They all fire right up after those two aspects and allow me to move on with a project.

Now granted, not all ebay carbs behave properly. Some do require a gasket swap to cure leakage. In general, most here have had good results I would guess judging from the posts.

You haven't been here for any length of time but if you did a search you would find many who have tried to revive original carbs only to fail in the end.
You're replying to a guy looking for a doodlebug, Coleman, etc. Kind of puts into question his machismo at repairing fifty year old lawn mower carburetors using nothing but a bread pan, a tooth brush and a steely glare...:laugh:

Good to see you here.

I always try and repair carbs first, but when they've been left outside for the last twenty years in Cold Places starting with the letter "M," it just makes more sense to go China for ten bucks.

You're replying to a guy looking for a doodlebug, Coleman, etc. Kind of puts into question his machismo at repairing fifty year old lawn mower carburetors using nothing but a bread pan, a tooth brush and a steely glare...[emoji23]

Good to see you here.

I always try and repair carbs first, but when they've been left outside for the last twenty years in Cold Places starting with the letter "M," it just makes more sense to go China for ten bucks.
Completely make sense of that. I guess I haven't seen any rusty or severely corroded carbs.