Carburettor selection tuning splinter thread

Starting a new thread here rather than hijack one....

I have been dumpster diving and brought home about 12 carbs. Of these I selected these particular carbs to keep ( and stripped the rest for jets and floats and shite ).

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13377&ppuser=13726

These are all Chinese and new ( or very new used, soaked in flood but not damaged ). How do I measure them to decide what to use?

I have two clearly marked PZ19, one makrked PC FK I suspect after searchinng Ebay is a 22 mm carb and two more slight larger carbs marked JYUL 29 that I suspect are 24 mm carbs.

I was considering the 19 or 22 mm for my now stock with header but slowly evolving clone. I am making small changes one at a time ( Yes the ARC rod and Flyhweel will be the next changes I spend money on ) and since these were free they followed me home.

I have been screwing around with e tubes and jets trying to get my stock 16mm clone carb to run well and I don't think there too much point in spending money or too much time on it ( piece of Shite I can't seem to richen where I need it ).

Please share your thoughts and sugestions on what to chose and how to tune these.

Its still early to expect any replies but I thought I would add I am going back to the dumpster to snatch any and all carbs I can find even the bigger ones.

Depending on what looks like its got some practical use I'll snap a picture and put them up free to good homes for those wishing to cover the postage....

Still no bites eh?

I found something bigger called a PD 15 and brought home a pair of PD 24 J.

All 3 are close to the same size but the last two apear to have a vaccume opperated slide. I think these are called CV carbs?

All use the same jets so its not like a total waste of my time I guess...

Not a big deal I still have to take more pictures of the latest addition to my collection of carbs.

Add to that a starter for my sons Kazuma...
A pair of ATV winches....
More brake calipers, hoses and masters.....

I guess some of this stuff could be cleaned up and sold On Ebay maybe I could get enough for a new rod piston and rings ( maybe a stretch eh )

Any one need a starter for a 9 - 13 hp clone?

once you have all of them get some pics and post in the wanted section. people will probably take them if you only want them to cover shipping.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I would go with a 22mm carb
It matches the intake seat I.D. better than the others. The stock intake seat I.D. is 23mm.

I can't tell you exactly how to tune it, but start off rich if you can. Normally drilling the main jet and working from there. These carbs are normally real lean to start, but if your planing on maybe porting the head, or getting a cam, or different ratio rockers it will make the carb run back lean again.

I don't plan on doing very much with this engine and any changes are made in small increments untill I work through the bug.

I have been resistant to even remove the governer at this point.

Thanks for the input

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I don't plan on doing very much with this engine and any changes are made in small increments untill I work through the bug.

Thanks for the input
Well if your not gonna really mod it, then leave it as is and have fun. You only need to mod it when you start feeling like it's not enough.

Well its not enough to be honest but I don't have enough money right now to put the correct parts into it. For staters I should have an Arc rod and at least a Honda mower flywheel.

I do have 160 and 200 heads I could port, a header and that pile of carbs....

It all boils down to tinkering small mods and not turning this thing into a grennade.

AND what ever I do to the engine thats running right now I can transfer onto Clone 2 as funds become available.....

I have no shortage of desire or interest I just don't want to blow an engine while on strike ( and it looks like I won't be working again for quite some time ).

I'll start on an adaptor and try one out, If I;m careful and keep the RPM down I might get the rest of the season out of this " New" clone

Last edited:

Thanks for the input

Pulling the gov is really easy if you take off the flywheel, don't bother trying to rip it out, its a pain in the ass that way. If you pull the fly wheel all you have to do is tap it out with a punch and then put a couple screws in to fill the pin hole and the armature hole on the top of the case.

I have a couple of other blocks, one 160 the other 200 clone both have the governers removed. When time and money permits I throw parts at one and use the other for a mock up when I make things.

RIght now I am working my way through an Intake manifold for the Kiehin carb using a 45 deg # 20 hydraulic hose end. This should point the carb rear ward and tuck in close to the bike