Carter Brothers Shortster - Who has one, and can i get a pic of how the seat attaches

I picked up a carter brothers shortster a couple of weeks ago, and am getting around to the seat. I have seen pictures of the bike and one video on youtube, but i cant see how the seat is attached.

Now, i have done a few seats in the past, and I get the whole T-nut thing, but this frame is a bit wonky. From looking at my bike, it seems straightforward, 3 t nuts and some bolts/washers and ill be set.

BUT-- the frame has a bend in it the closer you get to the fake gas tank, and it seems like that would prevent the plywood from sitting flush on the frame. All the pictures I have seen show that the seat extends beyond this bend.

Here are a few pictures of my progress. If anyone has insight on how to get it to fit, please let me know. Im thinking i might have to bust out the miter saw for some spacers that sit at an angle for the seat. Thoughts? The last picture is of the biek with a junk seat on it. Im making mine out of wood,foam, vinyl,welting, cover buttons. Pics? IMG_1582[1].JPG IMG_1646[1].JPG IMG_1645[1].JPG

Hey gran.

First, ignore my PM, I see you are keeping the bike.

Your problem is easy. The wooden seat pan is 2 pieces of wood. Give me a bit and I'll try and get some pictures and a measurement for you. The pics will not be great as most of the separation is hidden but I'll get you to where you need to be I think.

Doc

P.S. Most of the guys are Shortster haters here lol :thumbsup: . They may harass you a bit. I will attest it is a great bike!

OK...

Here is the scoop. There are two boards for the seat. you can see here where the split is right in front of the shock.

In this picture I have my hand lifting the front of the seat. The front board is NOT screwed down. It seems to be attached only to the seat covering and just floats in there. The cut is approximately 5 1/8" front to back.

Here is what the original seat looked like.

And the whole bike in relation to the seat.

I hope this helps.

Doc

Doc! Oh my gosh, yes that helps a ton! Looks like you have added a few things to yours, the windscreen and saddle bags make it look even more like a legit motorcycle. This is a pretty ugly mini bike, i do agree with that. I just like the ugly of it though. That, and it has decent tires for dirt track racing with Texas Outlaw Mini Bikes. Mine will definitely be used and abused after getting it up in good running order.

So i am going to stop by the hardware store on my way home form work tonight and get a hinge for the seat so i can cut it. From what i can tell, the shorter wooden front part just sits there. resting on the frame.

I went ahead and bought the 30 series 7" driven unit, and it looks like it will barely fit. But it will fit! Thanks again for the pictures, they are very very helpful.

How did you get those rims looking so nice? As you can tell, mine have a bit of a rust issue.

Last edited:
As for getting the T nut thing, an engineering question, is it better to put the t nuts in the top of the wood aiming down, or in the bottom of the wood aiming up?

IMG_1418.JPG Most seat makers put them on the foam side of the seat pan facing down. That way, when you tighten the bolts from underneath, the seat draws down on itself and is firmly attached. (my photos always appear I'm taking pictures through a screen door)

Last edited:
Doc! Oh my gosh, yes that helps a ton! Looks like you have added a few things to yours, the windscreen and saddle bags make it look even more like a legit motorcycle. This is a pretty ugly mini bike, i do agree with that. I just like the ugly of it though.
Pffftttt!!!!. It's a beautiful bike. These guys are just jealous! :glare::glare::2guns:

How did you get those rims looking so nice? As you can tell, mine have a bit of a rust issue.
Well...let me tell ya a story. I bought the bike in 1999 for my daughter. I stored it outside in a wood barn for two years over the winter and the rims looked like yours. Way back then those rims were cheap. I think it was less than $50 for two and they had the tires on it. (IF I only knew back then, I'd have bought 20 sets!). After that, the bike always comes inside the house to sleep in the winter. Right now it's in the garage (which is attached and heated) and I may ask Fantic Freddy to help me get it into the minibike room soon.

Doc

(It's beautiful I tell ya...):pimp::gun_bandana:

Last edited:
Okay, going with some bright colors here. Black, green, and orange will eventually be what I paint the bike with. The seat came out okay. I couldn't get the back part to look right, but the rest looks good! Thanks again for the pics doc. Helped out a bunch.

IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1657.JPG