Cat long clutch cover on ebay

FunWithStuff

Unfortunately that's not the long cover for the Dominator. I hope whoever is bidding that high knows that.
That's the medium length one. SMH
I was thinking the same thing at first but the tail on the guard is different from the medium guard (see the photo below of an NOS medim guard) you can tell it's been cut out and those spot rivets match the factory ones. It COULD be a modified medium guard but it's hard to tell. The tail does appear to be a little shorter than the long guards.

I messaged the seller to ask him if he can give an end to end measurement of the guard. If he responds that it is about 18.5 inches than it is the real deal because I've measured that on real long guards before.

I'll follow up if he responds with measurements.

1000002681.jpg

FunWithStuff

Wow that was quick response. Unfortunately it measures out to 16.5 inches. That 2 inches two short for a long guard.

However, I still think this is a real Cat guard. I think Cat actually made a "long-medium" guard that was mainly used on the JCPenney's Duster and small JCPenney mini bikes. They were shorter than the "long" Cat guards (18.5 inches) and I want to say 16.5 inches is about correct because the Duster had a smaller frame. Look at the Dominator guard photo and compare it to the Duster guard photo below (credit to f4radar for Duster photo). The Duster guard does appear to be about 2 inches shorter.

Conclusion: I'm going to say this was probably a replacement Duster guard bought at JCPenney's a LONG time ago. It's a real Cat guard it looks just like the factory ones and I don't see any obvious signs of modifications. It's not a Cat "long" guard but can work on some Cats. He also has a replacement blue guard that went on the blue Cat JCPenney mini bike for sale too (see photo below of blue guard on JCPenney mini bike).

1000002686.jpg
1000002685.jpg
1000002683.jpg
1000002682.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that was quick response. Unfortunately it measures out to 16.5 inches. That 2 inches two short for a long guard.

However, I still think this is a real Cat guard. I think Cat actually made a "long-medium" guard that was mainly used on the JCPenney's Duster and small JCPenney mini bikes. They were shorter than the "long" Cat guards (18.5 inches) and I want to say 16.5 inches is about correct because the Duster had a smaller frame. Look at the Dominator guard photo and compare it to the Duster guard photo below (credit to f4radar for Duster photo). The Duster guard does appear to be about 2 inches shorter.

Conclusion: I'm going to say this was probably a replacement Duster guard bought at JCPenney's a LONG time ago. It's a real Cat guard it looks just like the factory ones and I don't see any obvious signs of modifications. It's not a Cat "long" guard but can work on some Cats. He also has a replacement blue guard that went on the blue Cat JCPenney mini bike for sale too (see photo below of blue guard on JCPenney mini bike).

View attachment 309056

View attachment 309054
This is correct, I found out the hard way there are actually at least four different length guards, and the longer two are close but only the longest (18.5") is for the Dominator. A while back I bought a complete one of those blue Penny's bikes, just for the clutch cover only the to find out it was 2" too short:(

Last edited:

FunWithStuff

This is correct, I found out the hard way there are actually at least four different length guards, and the longer two are close but only the longest (18.5") is for the Dominator. I bought a complete one of those blue Penny's bikes just to find out the guard was 2"too short.
The longest guard (18.5 inches) seems to have been used mostly on Cats 4 HP models like the R4001, R4002 (Dominator), R4003, R4004, and the Duster MX (not to be confused with the Duster Chopper) from JCPenney's uses the long guard as well. I think it's because they had a bigger frame and the engine is mounted further forward compared to the Duster Chopper and the little Blue Cats which is why their guards are shorter. Exception being the Hustler (R3503) I think it's the only 3.5 HP Cat that uses the long guard (18.5 inches) because the frame is bigger.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Cat did make a longer guard that's about 20 inches. I think maybe it was used on the Wildcat? Of course that guard was black and not chrome. Not sure if that's correct or not but that would be Cat's "longest" guard that they used.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Cat did make a longer guard that's about 20 inches. I think maybe it was used on the Wildcat? Of course that guard was black and not chrome. Not sure if that's correct or not but that would be Cat's "longest" guard that they used.
I had one of those Wildcat years ago (worst riding of the Cat's, bars weren't bent far enough forward and were in your lap)
It had the OG black cover on it, but it's been so long I can't remember if it was actually longer than the Dominator or not.