chain help..

well over the past few weeks of riding it seems my chain keeps getting looser and looser and really banging on the chain guard and some times hear like a popping sound.. the chain tensioner is far as it will go and still dont seem to make a difference compare to my buddies bike so im guessing the chain is just old and abused so my question is what chains do yall run on yours or would you recommend also what do you think of the Xtreme high performance chains?

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

The RLV Extreme is very nice chain...I think you need two boxes for most minibikes and a chain breaker helps. I run it on all my bikes...very little stretching!
X2 ...the RLV is very nice. When I was a minibike noob, I bought some cheap China chain...it did not hold up to my girth and actually broke! Buy good stuff...buy it once!

The stock chain is crap. I pulled links out 3 times because of stretch. I run the extreme chain now. You'll need 2 boxes unless you have a jack shaft, then you can use 1 box. The chain break is a must have tool.

The popping is a concern. Could simply be a rusty stuck link. Or it could be a bad wheel bearing. Lift the rear tire and manually turn it. See if the chain goes loose tight loose tight or pops. If you're still undecided, pull the chain off and spin the tire again. Any popping with no chain just leaves the bearings

Last edited:
thanks everybody for the help and info got all that ordered up as for the wheel bearing it sounds fine although with my luck that will be next lol i do have a few spots in my chain that is rusted and stuck so prolly whats popping as cam said... but now as of last night i have a brake issue lol pads seem to be down to nothing and rubbing on the rotor which sucks so now i need new pads and OldMiniBikes is out of stock for the doodlebug replacements is there any other pads that will work or should i just try to find them at one of my local places?

The RLV Extreme is very nice chain...I think you need two boxes for most minibikes and a chain breaker helps. I run it on all my bikes...very little stretching! I run the black on gold but there is gold on gold for a higher price

#35 RLV X-treme Performance Kart Chain "Gold on Black" 106 Links - RLV-0850

This tool pays for itself by saving lots of frustration and you can do away with the master link with it too

#35 Chain Breaker
well i got both these things today me and my buddy got the chain to work out and put the master link on it and now the master link seems to hit the back of the clutch but the rest of the chain is perfect.. this was just buy spinning the wheel with out it running... yes i know it didnt need a master link on it and that would fix the prob but why is this happing with the master in it?

well i got both these things today me and my buddy got the chain to work out and put the master link on it and now the master link seems to hit the back of the clutch but the rest of the chain is perfect.. this was just buy spinning the wheel with out it running... yes i know it didnt need a master link on it and that would fix the prob but why is this happing with the master in it?
Are your sprockets in alignment? Take chain off and clamp a straight piece of metal to rear sprocket and it should line up to clutch sprocket! Post some pictures of the area of contact to give us a visual! I run two Doodles (bolth 6.5 clones) with clutches inboard with master links and never a problem of the link rubbing :thumbsup:

The screw with the small pin on it , pushes the pin out of the chain, to take it apart.
The other screw with no pin on it pushes the chain pin back in ...to connect chain back together

The screw with the small pin on it , pushes the pin out of the chain, to take it apart.
The other screw with no pin on it pushes the chain pin back in ...to connect chain back together
yeah i knew how to use it but what i was trying to do wasnt working out to well with it lol but i got it chains on good to go just need to fix my brakes now

Gold on gold the only way to roll ! EBay the brake pads , a million of em , all on line scooter shops have them , buy 2 sets at least :thumbsup: