cheap upgrades to my engine?

just kidding lol performance does not come cheap!
You will get more gain from changing your sprocket sizes [smaller front/ bigger rear]
to give you more low end torque for less money than any internal engine work.

TomH

i have a tecumseh ohv 6 hp motor. what are some pretty cheap performance upgrades that i can do to it?my budget would probably be like $100 for all.
three basic hop ups are Exhaust, low restriction air filter, and tuning-rejeting the carb. Besides a sprocket change, these three don't cost that much unless you buy everything.

Oldsalt

As the compression ratio is so dismally low on this type of engine the quickest and cheapest way to get more power, and get more power everywhere from idle to red-line, is to increase the compression ratio. Also you will get the advantage of not having to rev the motor to enjoy the benefit. Usually no re-jetting is necessary. It really 'wakes up' an otherwise stock engine and does not really change it's reliability.

One very cheap, and very minimal increase ,but more for quick starting and complete burn of fuel is changing to E3 spark plug. I know there are ALOT of "snake oil" types of equipment add ons outhere, but for the money a good firing plug does wonders. it is based off of side gapping spark plugs which racers have done for years. and I truly like these plugs.I don't think you'll notice a big increase in power ,but it will start much better and have a cleaner running engine.Also run a good full synthetic oil, like AMSOIL, or Mobil 1 extended performance. these are definately small improvements but improvements none the less.

65ShelbyClone

I had an OHH65 that I was briefly playing with and a header and jetting made a noticeable difference. I blended the intake elbow and did a little cleanup on the intake port too. Since aftermarket support has dried up, you're stuck modifying stock parts or making your own. I don't know if there are any new- old stock billet rods floating around anymore. The chambers are huge, so Oldsalt is right that they would probably response well to more compression. I don't remember how the airbox was attached, but you might be able to put a Uni Filter on there instead.

The ports are some of the worst I have seen in a modern small engine, so you would be hard pressed to make them worse if you wanted to practice porting. Everything about the engine is lighter duty than its competitors. I like the way they look with that sorta-slanted, sorta-upright cylinder, though. :laugh:

I had an OHH65 that I was briefly playing with and a header and jetting made a noticeable difference. I blended the intake elbow and did a little cleanup on the intake port too. Since aftermarket support has dried up, you're stuck modifying stock parts or making your own. I don't know if there are any new- old stock billet rods floating around anymore. The chambers are huge, so Oldsalt is right that they would probably response well to more compression. I don't remember how the airbox was attached, but you might be able to put a Uni Filter on there instead.

The ports are some of the worst I have seen in a modern small engine, so you would be hard pressed to make them worse if you wanted to practice porting. Everything about the engine is lighter duty than its competitors. I like the way they look with that sorta-slanted, sorta-upright cylinder, though. :laugh:
Many of their engines were intended for snow blowers.
They don't get used a lot when you consider the amount of hours.
In terms of value they were probably just about right untill the clones came along and offered more engine for less.
But in the end being light duty is not a bad thing if that is what the aplication required.