Child friendly brake setup

Hi all , I'm in the process of building a mini for my 7 year old daughter.
I've put a 2.5hp engine in and lowered the seat a bit for her. Next on the list s brakes.
The problem I have is the bike has a cable operated drum brake , for one it,s to far for her little hand to reach and even if she could I don't think she'd have the strength to pull it.
Any idea on an effective alternative for her?
Any ideas greatly appreciated
Thanks James.

ps the bikes a New Zealand built Tru-test bike. Similar to lil indian i think:shrug:

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
your other choices would be a band brake or a scrub brake. my choice would be a band brake. that is what I will be using on my granddaughters mini. im not a big fan of the scrub brake. they don't work to good and just wear out the tires. you may be able to make a foot operated lever that can apply the drum brake or a band brake. if you are good at fabrication, you may even be able to use a pocket rocket wheel and disk brake set up. the easiest I think would be a band brake.

capguncowboy

You can put a foot brake on it, and connect the cable to the current brake set up. Just pick up a go-kart lever and fasten it to the frame just in front of the foot peg. It would make it easier for her to reach and a little easier to apply the right amount of pressure.

Thanks guys i was thinking about doing something foot operated , i might see if that will work with my drum brake first. I have started looking around at hydro disk brake setup but looks like a lot of fab work.

If it is a safety concern. i honestly would do the scrub brake along with a clutch band brake. Reason being that if the clutch brake failed (the chain comes off you have no brakes at all) the scrub brake would be a backup. Just my personal opinion.
Joe:shrug:

Get a scrub brake type leaver and conecy it by the foot peg then put a rod connecting to the drum on it like on a motorcycle

Those levers might be the go , id like to be had operated ideally as her bmx has hand operated brakes . What would mtb brakes be like on a mini ? Though the disks look to be a bit big for 5" wheels.