Cleaning a block

I just got another mini and the previous owner spray bombed everything flat black. I have managed to get a lot of it off the engine block, but the problem is in the tight areas....like between cooling fins. What is the best way to get this block super clean? BTW, the engine is tore currently tore apart awaiting mods and rebuild. Thanks!

The car wash would be a good place, just bolt it to an old frame or a board so as not to have it knocked around. I bolt em to a frame and use my power washer. Some chemical stripper before hand and it'll be bare metal after blasting it off.:thumbsup:

C9H13NO3

The car wash would be a good place, just bolt it to an old frame or a board so as not to have it knocked around. I bolt em to a frame and use my power washer. Some chemical stripper before hand and it'll be bare metal after blasting it off.:thumbsup:

Didn't even think of that, but it seems like it would work.

If no one is looking, you could try the dishwasher.:shrug:
LOL! Not a bad idea.

Good suggestions here. Honestly, I was hoping someone would say..."just get some (insert chemical name here) and spray it down and it will look good as new".

Guess I will have to use the pressure washer.

I learned that one from my dad.:laugh:
Did he actually try it? The concept of it seems like it will work and the labor and time it would save would be more than worth it... Just imagine.. putting 3 or 4 or even 5! dirty, greasy blocks in the dishwasher and having them come out nice and shiny....:freakout::freakout::freakout::freakout: :drool:

Did he actually try it? The concept of it seems like it will work and the labor and time it would save would be more than worth it... Just imagine.. putting 3 or 4 or even 5! dirty, greasy blocks in the dishwasher and having them come out nice and shiny....:freakout::freakout::freakout::freakout: :drool:
Well, I found out when I woke up and was looking for a clean bowl for cereal.:blink:
I found a set of Indian Chief cases shiny new in the dishwasher.:rolleyes:
It works, but you need to do about 3 or 4 cycles and then run 2 more cycles after to rinse any grease and oil out and any oders.

The best way I've found to clean engine blocks is to soda blast them. Harbor Freight sells the blasters and media (baking soda) and they are on sale frequently. The soda will take off paint, dirt, grease, and corrosion. It will not remove rust...

KM

The best way I've found to clean engine blocks is to soda blast them. Harbor Freight sells the blasters and media (baking soda) and they are on sale frequently. The soda will take off paint, dirt, grease, and corrosion. It will not remove rust...

KM
Interesting. I have seen that at Harbor Freight and contemplated purchasing it. Might have to pick it up.

Something to think about...getting a used dishwasher and setting it up in the backyard and using it to wash engine blocks and other parts.:thumbsup:
Kinda cool....in a junky kind of way.

Since you said you were gonna mod this thing easiest way would have the machine shop you take it to get it bored or whatever clean it which they tend to do anyways. The car wash idea has come in handy more than once for me. For aluminum to get 'er real shiny I first degrease (parts washer) than sand blast (silica) than switch to a ground or crushed glass blast cabinet. They come out just as shiny as a new penny. BTW what doesn't cause cancer in CA???? Oh ya-weed.