cleaning/polishing aluminumum wheels

What do you guys use to clean/ polish your aluminum wheels. I've heard people media blasting or soda blasting, but I know of no one around here with a blaster. Is there a liquid that I can maybe soak them? Whats your best method? I appreciate any and all info.
I could do them by hand but that will take forever, and I still don't think I will be able to get in the corners etc....

Thanks
~ssscat

A friend did them for me for FREE. I just bought a cheap portable sandblaster, (Harbor ffreight) I'm going to try it out tomorrow. What town are you in??? I forget!!:eek:ut:

I remember now. If the blaster works well, I'll do them for ya. Didn't get a chance to try it out yet, but I did get the sand.:thumbsup: I'll let ya know.:scooter:

Depends, if they originally had a chrome/plate finish I would just use 00 or 000 steel wool to clean them up. Here is a pic of part of my wheel I did with steel wool and the rest I never did.

If you don't have a way to blast them, the local engine rebuild shop can do it for you. Usually they have glass bead instead of sand which will give a little more gloss to it than sand. Price should be minimal on such a small part.

Here's the blaster I have at my shop. Curently has glass bead in it:

And a small stack of wheels one of my guys has been working on when there are no cars to work on.

To add on the post about using steel wool, also use WD40 with the steel wool on rust parts.

Media blast kits are cheap at Sears, harbor freight and such....glass beads is best & almost polishes the alloys.

Ps: Do not breath the dust fumes of silicone sand like from a home supply store.....it is very bad for you. Read the bag information! Do not use play ground sand!

Last edited: