Coil problem. Only get spark some times.

I have a gokart that has been sitting around for sometime. I put the engine back on it and figured I would get it working again. The motor would start but it makes a loud pinging sound. Then I lose the spark. So I made sure the flywheel key did not break. It was fine so I messed with the coil it self and pushed on the two little wires coming out of it. I put the pull start back on and had a spark. I then started the engine and got a loud pinging noise again and lost the spark. I have no clue what going on so any help would be great. The engine is a 5hp briggs

I have a gokart that has been sitting around for sometime. I put the engine back on it and figured I would get it working again. The motor would start but it makes a loud pinging sound. Then I lose the spark. So I made sure the flywheel key did not break. It was fine so I messed with the coil it self and pushed on the two little wires coming out of it. I put the pull start back on and had a spark. I then started the engine and got a loud pinging noise again and lost the spark. I have no clue what going on so any help would be great. The engine is a 5hp briggs
We need more info like the year of the motor or a picture or video of it.
You might have points ignition and a bad condenser.
Pinging could be coming from the clutch.

george3

5HP briggs? Is it electronic, or does it have points? if electronic and you have no points clean the flywheel magnet, remove the mag. and clean the rust where it bolts on. Also the area that picks up the magnetic field. It needs to ground good. clean the back of the screws if needed. Is there a ground wire on it shorting out somewhere?