Coleman B200R engine swap - Honda GX390

panchothedog

Keep the drive chain clean and properly lubricated. Street use it won't get dirty very fast. Off road use, it will need attention after each session. Motorcycle shops sell the cleaner and the lube. Keep the tension on the chain correctly adjusted. New ones will stretch and become too loose. Sometimes the rear wheel can move forward, causing the same problem.
Tension should be checked after about each hour or two of use. Your owners manual should explain how much play there should be in the chain,
as it varies depending on length.

Keep the drive chain clean and properly lubricated. Street use it won't get dirty very fast. Off road use, it will need attention after each session. Motorcycle shops sell the cleaner and the lube. Keep the tension on the chain correctly adjusted. New ones will stretch and become too loose. Sometimes the rear wheel can move forward, causing the same problem.
Tension should be checked after about each hour or two of use. Your owners manual should explain how much play there should be in the chain,
as it varies depending on length.
Thank you for this too! I think maybe tomorrow I'll clean the bikes up including the drive chain. I sprayed the chains initially as well as the tensioner and the sprockets with WD-40, i thought maybe that would protect from any sort of rusting.

I don't have a chain breaker or any extra links lying around, but it might be worth buying one as in the future I may also do a sprocket change on the larger coleman for some extra speed.

I appreciate everybody's concern!

panchothedog

When and if you decide to change the sprocket for more top end speed, that will require a smaller rear sprocket. Meaning A shorter chain. You will need a chain breaker tool. They are sized to match the chain. # 35, or # 40. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. It will break the 1st or 2nd time you try to remove a roller pin. Frustrating.

When and if you decide to change the sprocket for more top end speed, that will require a smaller rear sprocket. Meaning A shorter chain. You will need a chain breaker tool. They are sized to match the chain. # 35, or # 40. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. It will break the 1st or 2nd time you try to remove a roller pin. Frustrating.
Exactly. Also, is it worth it to change the front sprocket too? Online calculators will give certain gear-ratios based on desired speed... should I ignore the front one entirely and only decrease the size of the rear?

panchothedog

Front sprockets can be changed to change the final gear ratio. A bigger front
sprocket will give you a higher gear ratio, more top speed. The sprockets are smaller and usually cheaper than the larger rear ones. Your bike probably has a 10 tooth on the front. An 11 will be a 10 % difference. A 12 will be a
20 % difference. This doesn't always equate to the same % of speed. At some point the engine runs out of power and will no longer reach it's designed RPM.

Front sprockets can be changed to change the final gear ratio. A bigger front
sprocket will give you a higher gear ratio, more top speed. The sprockets are smaller and usually cheaper than the larger rear ones. Your bike probably has a 10 tooth on the front. An 11 will be a 10 % difference. A 12 will be a
20 % difference. This doesn't always equate to the same % of speed. At some point the engine runs out of power and will no longer reach it's designed RPM.
Thank you for the info. And of course. The smaller coleman bike actually has a decent ratio and can zip around, the larger coleman I reckon I could get up to at least 40 with the power of the 200cc engine and because I only weigh 150-60.