Collecting stuff what von does it fill?

KB2ROCKET

VOID NOT VON Is being a collector the same thing as being a hoarder? Is being a collector a mental condition? Lets take minibikes they are fun they may remind you of a happier time they may be an investment or a challenge or a tool for social interaction I don't know but one void that they fill for sure is space but unlike a living companion you can ride them hard until broken and shove them in a closet and they will gladly wait 30 years for someone to re discover them and return them to their former glory. .... collecting stuff is a strange and personal experience

Last edited:
Be it in a closet , shed , basement or barn as people see things like the show Pawn Stars and out there for free Craigslist became the answer with it's wide spread coverage and the price is right the job of cleaning out the hidden treasures of yester years and the affection to items has worn off and the ever increasing cost of living. Sell Sell Sell . Well that's how it went in Portland, Oregon. I made a 350 mile trip for a Tule Trooper up through Seattle traffic on a Friday that's crazy to most of the world

WLB

What void does it fill? Every space in our house from attic to basement, the pole barn, the shop, the garage, the minibarn, the driveway and a little of the back yard.:laugh::laugh:

I've encountered true hoarders in my work. These are people who cannot get rid of anything. I've seen homes filled to the ceiling w/stacks of newspapers, sacks of garbage, empty cat food cans, cats and cat turds. You move through the rooms in these houses by passing along narrow paths through the stuff. Getting rid of anything causes these people extreme distress. When the house catches fire or a pipe breaks and it all has to go into the dumpster they just flip out. That is, if they lived through the fire. It's not uncommon that the fire dept cannot get in to rescue the victim from a back bedroom. Hoarders tend to be socially isolated. They're alone w/their stuff and don't get out much.

Here's an interesting article that talks about the difference between being a hoarder and a collector. It also suggests a third category - extreme collector. Maybe that's where I fall. :laugh:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201207/4-signs-youre-extreme-collector