Comet 30 inner hub

The inner hub of my comet 30 torque converter (in driver) is stuck to shaft (not normal?) Bike wants to take off from start...and im guessing this is the problem? This is the piece that when clean should slide freely through the works. Any suggestions on how to free it without damage? Heat maybe?
My first time to work on a TAV...any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

markus

the only thing that should spin freely in the area that you have circled is the bronze bushing. The splined hub and the rear sheave are both fixed to the crankshaft via keyway. some heat can usually help remove those parts from the shaft if its just a matter of built up grease and gook gluing it all to the shaft. Dont want to use direct flame and want to remember that there is a rubber crank seal on the engine.

If its wanting to take off, make sure you have the proper sized belt (both length and width), the parts in the driver and driven are lubricated and working correctly, and that the splined hub is allowing smooth slide of the sheave assy.

This photo is thanks to the info on the go kart supply page that has a lot of parts and info on the comet units:

here is the link to the 30 series parts if something is damaged and needs replaced: https://www.gokartsupply.com/asymapp.htm

Thanks [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION].

It is pretty stuck...and nothing there to pry against. Might just clean and dry lube in place.
The other parts appear to work as designed when running (opening and closing with throttle).
Replacement belt bought for 203589 or Manco 5959 applications (MaxPower 8487 Go Cart Torque Convert Belt Replaces Comet 203589A and Manco 5959) looks to be the right length (see pic) and width (3/4 in).

I do, however have to pull open the driven a bit to get the belt into the pulley (flush with top)...not sure if that is normal. But once in place it seems to have the appropriate gap on the driver shaft. Gonna clean it, put it back together this weekend and try to run it in place to see if I can figure it out.

Wanted to share finding in case others have this issue and look for some input.

With my driver off I can install the belt by opening up the driven slightly. Once back together, the driven pushes the belt to the top of the pulley when turned. This tightens the belt around driver bushing, almost to a point where it wont even roll. Bushing is free to spin without belt...

To rule out the belt (was using knock off comet belt) I robbed an original Comet 30 belt 203589 off another comet 30 I have on a different bike (that also measures 6 5/8" center to center and has a 6" driven).
Also tightens up on this comet.

Looking closely at the second comet 30, the driven pulley is farther apart when closed completely than the one I'm having trouble with. See pics.
Aside from shimming between the halves...I cant figure out how one might adjust this.
Or maybe just buy a bigger belt for the driven with the narrower close position?

What am I dealing with here...two different variations of comet 30 drivens? If so, this should be taken into consideration when buying comet belts.

These are both asymmetric drivens 6": Both appear to be comet 30? They are made slightly different (one has 3 white buttons, the other 6 black) I assumed them both to be comet 30s, one came off 1980 bike (tighter close white buttons) the other (wider close with black buttons off a 1990s bike).
Also, I can see rivets in one but not other from inside when both are closed (rivets are not holding driven open in second pic).

Thanks.

Figured out why my belt was catching in the driven....
The first pic above is a cat99 driven (for 5/8 belt)...the later a comet 30 (for 3/4 belt)...

Not sure how I missed that.:doah::doah: