Comet 44 series magnum torque converter

I am thinking about one for my drag bike (B&S 305). I would like to hear (read) thoughts and opinions, preferably from people who have used or seen them used. Thanks.

the bigger torque converters are awesome BUT they do not have the adjustability the shock wave has. I'm using the 40 series on my 390 nitrous bike but I had to modify the driver and pulley to do what I need it to do. there are a limited number of performance parts but they fall short of the range you need to race with.i had to rewind the spring on the pulley to hold low gear longer and I had to make custom rollers so the driver would launch at 5500 like I wanted. stock rollers weigh 127.9 grams lightened rollers are 94 the lightest ones are not available so I made a set of aluminum ones that weigh 45 grams with red springs. now it launches at 5500 carries the front wheel for 45 feet on the bars. do some research on the driver parts and see whats available you may have to make what you need,the inch + belt is awesome and will take some ounding, also there is no plate for the 44 it has to have a jackshaft and there are several different length belts that can be used depending on where you mount the jackshaft so center to center measurements have to be right on.

the bigger torque converters are awesome BUT they do not have the adjustability the shock wave has. I'm using the 40 series on my 390 nitrous bike but I had to modify the driver and pulley to do what I need it to do. there are a limited number of performance parts but they fall short of the range you need to race with.i had to rewind the spring on the pulley to hold low gear longer and I had to make custom rollers so the driver would launch at 5500 like I wanted. stock rollers weigh 127.9 grams lightened rollers are 94 the lightest ones are not available so I made a set of aluminum ones that weigh 45 grams with red springs. now it launches at 5500 carries the front wheel for 45 feet on the bars. do some research on the driver parts and see whats available you may have to make what you need,the inch + belt is awesome and will take some ounding, also there is no plate for the 44 it has to have a jackshaft and there are several different length belts that can be used depending on where you mount the jackshaft so center to center measurements have to be right on.
Checked on the shockwave :scared:, new it is not an option. In my plans I was already thinking about having to make rollers. I thought that the belt was 7/8" on the 44, is the wider belt a modification? Any pics of your setup?

the 94 and 103 converters have the wider belt 40 and 44 have the 7/8 belt...I have the 40 series kit from gopowersports...runs 369.95...mod the rollers and buy the heavy duty red springs (comet# 203040) and it will launch like a rocket!!!! I made my rollers from 6165 aluminum bar stock weighed each one on my scales to make sure they were even. also the outer driver housing wont hold up to high rpms. I put mine all back together then welded the nut to the cover like the original comet driver is. if you buy the red springs and send me the springs and driver ill make the lighter rollers and install everything and weld the nut for a 100.00 DSC00015.JPG

the 94 and 103 converters have the wider belt 40 and 44 have the 7/8 belt...I have the 40 series kit from gopowersports...runs 369.95...mod the rollers and buy the heavy duty red springs (comet# 203040) and it will launch like a rocket!!!! I made my rollers from 6165 aluminum bar stock weighed each one on my scales to make sure they were even. also the outer driver housing wont hold up to high rpms. I put mine all back together then welded the nut to the cover like the original comet driver is. if you buy the red springs and send me the springs and driver ill make the lighter rollers and install everything and weld the nut for a 100.00 View attachment 94858
$100 seems like a fair deal but I have access to a lathe and I do my own welding. Just noticed that the 40 and 44 series are different. 44 is more tunable stock.

the 40 is tuneable too you just have to buy stronger red springs and make lighter rollers. I was trying to keep cost down by using the 40...the 44 didn't seem to have as many aftermarket parts as the 40 so that's what I ended up with. I also like the kit that gopowersports has except for the steel plate. they could have done it with aluminum...

delray

super nate
44 didn't seem to have as many aftermarket parts as the 40
think you might have that back words,but then again i could be wrong. i do like the fact you made something work that does not give you the option to just bolt something and go. mans best friend is a dog? WAIT, MANS BEST IS A LATHE......:thumbsup:

yalipito,if you not looking to have a 5500 stall speed ? maybe the 44 would work find for you.
here is a chart on how to setup different stall speeds,also some info on the rear driven.
http://gtcmanufacturing.com/comet-44-series-magnum-oem-manual.pdf

all of theses torque converters need modifying to get them to do what you want. none were designed to drag race with...and yes mans best friend is a lathe lol