Complete guide to removing governer on a 5 Hp Flathead (with pics)

I Ripped this off of DIY Go karts because I thought it would be a good contribution to this forum.
CREDITS TO SOLOMON FROM DIYGOKARTS FOR WRITING THIS THREAD.

WARNING-DAMAGE CAN OCCUR TO YOU AND ENGINE BY DOING THIS MOD

Okay, I have made a STEP by STEP tutorial for removing the governor on a 5hp FLAT HEAD Briggs engine.
This Tutorial Starts off assuming you have removed any linkage from the carburetor to the governor arm.
AND/OR have eliminated the Governor/throttle Plate.
TOTAL COST FREE

TOOLS NEEDED
7/16" wrench
3/8" wrench
Hammer (If needed)
Needle Nose Pliers
Bench Grinder (or other cutting device)

Materials
Oil Container (Tupperware works great)
PTO Gasket (can be made from cereal box, check end play after installed)

-------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1: Remove OIL Drain Plug with 7/16 " wrench, and Drain OIL!

STEP 2: Remove Governor Arm Bolt with 3/8" wrench and remove governor arm.

STEP 3: Remove Governor Clip and Washer (if washer is there)

STEP 4: Remove ALL 6 PTO side cover bolts with 7/16" wrench.

STEP 5: Extract PTO side Cover with hands,ONLY USE A HAMMER in the Spot shown below if it won't budge, be careful, you can break PTO Side cover.

STEP 6: This is the Governor Gear, remove it with pliers.

STEP 7: Remove this WASHER!it is directly behind the governor gear!

STEP 8: This is the Governor Shaft,what you see me grabbing is the 'flap" on the shaft. Pull it towards Crankshaft

STEP 9: Use Bench grinder or "another cutting device" to remove the "flap" from the governor shaft

STEP 10: Reinstall the Governor shaft. (OPTIONAL ->) You can lube it if you wish.

STEP 11: reinstall Governor Clip

STEP 12: Reinstall PTO side cover with new gasket, and torque bolts to 15lbs or until "SNUG"

THAT'S IT YOUR DONE! YOU DO NOT NEED THE GOVERNOR ARM! NOW HOOK YOUR THROTTLE UP DIRECTLY TO CARBURETOR! AND !!ADD!! OIL
Written by Solomon

I know I'm the guy that posted this, but when I took off the sidecover on my briggs to change the gasket (it was leaking oil), when I put the sidecover back on, it wont budge once it gets onto the thicker part of the crank. Should I just hammer it on, or is something not aligning?

I know I'm the guy that posted this, but when I took off the sidecover on my briggs to change the gasket (it was leaking oil), when I put the sidecover back on, it wont budge once it gets onto the thicker part of the crank. Should I just hammer it on, or is something not aligning?
I had a similar problem, you just need to make sure that the cover is lined up with the pins, theres assembly lube all over the new seal and crankshaft, and oil in the pocket for the camshaft. I laid the engine on its back (flywheel down) then lightly tapped it on there with a soft mallet close to the pto shaft, going around it and it popped right on. Don't beat it up and it should go right on.:hammer:

Last edited:
When I remove the governor, I leave the shaft out and tap the hole for a 1/8" pipe plug ( 1/8"npt). This eliminates the chance of oil leaking from shaft hole.
Thats what I was gonna say too. :thumbsup: I actually just run a bolt through it and use a locking nut and goob it up with sillycone then tighten it all down, but a plug is a pretty great idea too. :thumbsup:

I have a few bikes that I ride all the time.. I never let off the gas when I am on open asphalt but the bikes are geared for like 45-60 miles per hour too.. If you have a real low gear ratio where the engine is allowed to damn near free-wind that might not be a good idea.. But as long as your oil is full, acts kinda like oil still, and there is something trying to hold the engine back, I don't think you can break a stock Briggs flatty. :shrug:

I have a few bikes that I ride all the time.. I never let off the gas when I am on open asphalt but the bikes are geared for like 45-60 miles per hour too.. If you have a real low gear ratio where the engine is allowed to damn near free-wind that might not be a good idea.. But as long as your oil is full, acts kinda like oil still, and there is something trying to hold the engine back, I don't think you can break a stock Briggs flatty. :shrug:
Yeah the 5s are tough! My 5.5 ohv starts starving for fuel at 40-45mph so I let off to keep from smoking the piston!

That's a great write up. I did the same thing as you on my engine, except I tapped the hole with a 1/4-20 tap and used a 1/4-20 Socket head cap screw, lockwasher and locktite to seal up the hole.

use some scotchbrite on the end of the crank where the bushing would ride. clean it up a little and it should go right back on. i don't recommend hitting/tapping with a hammer at all![side cover is aluminum]