Completed 15" Minibike !

I finished my minibike project last weekend, i welded the frame up from scratch and installed my new azusa 8" rims on it. Bike tops around 50mph, 12t front, 60t rear sproket. New HF predator 212cc motor w/custom double exhaust headers and k&n style filter.:scooter:

MikeBear

Not bad. If it was mine, I'd personally weld an extra wedge piece in that rear corner back by the tire. It would seem to me, there's an awful lot of stress right there on that butt weld, and I wouldn't trust that weld alone to hold it.

Yeah, ill probably get around to welding supports on the rear fork and front fork. Today i added a chain tensioner, and went for some nice cruising, but the butt welds are capable ennough. My dad is a AWS certified welding inspector and he said it was fine, but better safe that sorry.

That rear wheel looks a bit precaruously placed that far out back on those two brackets. Probably fine just cruising, but on corners and over bumps you have alot of sideways forces and stresses aswell.

But really, that looks alot better than my first scrtach build, and 50mph on a bike which was built entirely by you and which I'm sure started as a load of tubing on your garage floor is a heck of an acievement. well done.

Looks like alot of fun and a great first build. As others have said though, a few well placed gussets would be a good saftey exercise. Not doubting your welds but fatigue will just rip them away from the parent metal. No fun at 50 mph:eek:hmy:
Andy.

Thanks guys, i agree with all of you. It is my first build, and for me being only 15 with no help, i's quite proud ! And im welding at a near pro-level. Next to learn is aluminum ! and soon i plan on building a beer box racer or something :scooter:

The exhuast will look alot better once painted and eventually ill be updating it with matching mufflers.

Ill get to adding some gussets to potentially weak points on the frame just to make it stronger and more secure. :thumbsup:

But yeah, i thought that about the rear wheel is a bit far out for my liking, but some supports should helpit, but i trust my work. :hammer:

It was a little difficult getting everything square w/out plans or a mold for the frame, but overall it came out great. It took alot of tweaking tho. Some points really just pissed me of getting it done. :grind:

BTW-15" is the diameter of the tires. The rim is 8". I used the mini bike speed calculator to get the speed. My old go cart w/ small 8" tires would go 45 with a large gear ratio. (I know cause a cop clocked me....):scooter:

Yeah, ATM, it does. With some coats of flame proof paint, itl look great. Im not spending any money on a header from a site when i can make my own.

You should better ask how he can turn it to the right, without activating the rear brake. Check that brake cable length....
The brake cable that came w/the kit was a bit short for my liking, BUT its just long ennough to function and turn the handle bars fully w/out pulling anything,