Continental Rebuild

Hi. Newb to the forum. So I have been looking for a minibike about a year for my son. Didn't really find anything that turned me on until the neighbor heard I wanted one and dropped this frame, two engines and some parts off! I still don't know how much he wants for this stuff? LOL ok, middle America.

So there is a Rupp serial # underneath the seat (and a big seat at that). He gave me a briggs and a tecumseh. The briggs runs I am told. Should I put that in or fix up the Tecumseh? Neither are original. Frame has mounts for two sets of pegs? Prolly why the shocks are so worn out!

There are two small cracks that I am welding up. So prolly just going to get the bike sanded down and then put on some primer.

The shocks look really worn out on both the front and back. Not sure if I should leave them as the metal is thinning on the inside diameter of the receiving tubs or swap out for aftermarket shocks.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to having some fun here and making some friends. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Regards.
k.k.

First of all welcome to OldMiniBikes! Nice project you have there. Rupps are the easiest minibike to restore because almost every part is being reproducted. I would put that tec on it because its be the most correct. Check out the below site they have everything for rupps from decals to chain guards shocks everything...
Home Page

Thank you B.B. for posting in my humble thread and thank you for the amazing link. I suppose I am just going to finish welding the two cracks and start cleaning up the tecumseh then.

The flywheel is really yukky looking and there are wasp nests in the cooling fins. I think the motor will probably need a rebuild. I was a tool maker for along time and had an old harley sportster that I worked on alot but really and honestly- I am kinda not so great with engines/bottom ends, balancing all that stuff. Not sure really what sorta depth I will go into with this engine BUT
LOL starting easy and running smooth would be great. Going to get a plug at least in the head before I start going crazy cleaning.

What do you like to paint engines with? "high heat" spray paint? :grind:

OK thanks again.

I don't have a gas tank! :shrug: LOL From the pics I have seen online- the old continentals had the gas tank mounted on the engine? Ideally I think gas tanks on the frame look sharper... but don't really have a clue what I need to "frankenstein" to make that happen.

But yes. I will be zen about the gas tank for the moment and see what comes into my posession. Since this is a vintage minibike (I think mid to early 60's) I should probably return it to it's stock trim as close as possible at least in look and function. Boy a nice continental engine on ebay for $400 bucks!!! yeah right!

But with a bare slate like this maybe not? Soup it up?

Goodmorning. It looks as if I have an all aluminum tecumseh. What do you guys think of these? I was going to paint it white but maybe I should stick with the graphite. Anyways I will need some parts. The engine turns easily tho and has oil in it. *noted two oil filler plugs*

I need head bolts for sure. It had some backwards spring assembly for the throttle so I am going to make or purchase something cleaner looking.

One of my best friends is a whiz with small engine repair. He wants to deck the head and bore it .095" over. Hmmm. One thing at a time.

So I guess the guy wants a 100 bucks for this stuff. Not a great deal but oh well "it's a vintage rupp"

Here are some pics. Not sure if it is an "LAV" but definitely aluminum. I have not found the serial # yet. Need to remove some more grime I suppose.

I am also not sure being a newb if this is a good place to post this thread or not. But since I am going to be asking questions or opinions I thought it would be? Ok thanks.
:hammer:

Last edited:
I'd post in general about your mini bike questions but questions about the engine should be in the engine section you'll get thing answered fasted because not many look at us vintage regularly. The serial # should be on a alunimum tag rivited on the pull start housing.

Hi gang. Tearing this down now. Lots of goofy welding by headstock, an extra set of footpegs and worn out forks and shocks. I am a good machinist by trade (in sales now) but these shocks have worn downtubes and springs. *thinking of next steps* would like to get bike in primer soon. Prolly going to just keep posting here as I don't think I have time for a decent project thread.

thanks again.

Thank you injuntom. Your bike collection is amazing! The project is going well as i scored a nice rear dump tec off ebay. Cleaned up swell and ifound dupli color hi heat clearcoat. Looks nice and vintage (off white color). Next bit to do is forks and shocks. I would like to rechrome these and the fenders. The boy wants the bike in lime green so we should have a looker here! Lol

Last edited:
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
I have a Rupp Continental also. It close to original as I could get it with out breaking the bank,I need a chain guard still for it.

I have the 64 continental manual I scored of ebay for 15 bucks. Have to scan it but shows my bike has the solid wheels and a different rear fender/tail light assm. (prolly not going to put that on my bike)...

Here are some pics of my "vintage mini bike" engine I got last week from ebay. covered in wood chips, this thing had honey colored oil and no carbon on the pison? I have been getting it all cleaned up... really looks to be in great shape!

replaced the throttle control (original control was busted, needs some welding which I will do later) etc. this is not a project log but I will show some pics as the white color looks cool on this engine I think... perhaps the original color of a continental minibike? I don't know... looks close so I just clear coated everything for a vintage vibe.
You like??

:thumbsup: