Control line plane

Anyone fly these things...I had them as a kid the Cox and Testor ones...wasn't very good but had fun. So my son and I were at the hobby store and I wanted a Cox plane but they haven't been made since the 90s the guy said....so this is what we got, and Ebay for the motor....We have about $50 into it so far...plane will be red. Cant wait to hear that .049 scream again!!

Attachments

Yes was a big control line flyer I have one of the skyrays in the garage. To mount the OK cub to the firewall you will have to remove the tank and use a external tank.

When I was a kid,my dad and I built a bi-plane.Took a long time to build.was sweet when we got it done
Took it out in the garden for it's first flight,didn't even get one complete circle before the old man hit a tree,totaled it :facepalm:

That will work. your plane may weigh just a peep more (affecting the weight for center of gravity) because the engine will be out just a tad further and it will add some weight with the mount. Just make sure you watch your center of gravity and it will fly just fine. The plane will have more than enough power to fly. As Ole4 said, you'll need an external tank but that's no problem at all.

Doc

Last edited:
I used to love those things. I had a biplane, a P51 and some unidentified German styled plane. I would probably barf now from spinning in a circle.

I used to love those things. I had a biplane, a P51 and some unidentified German styled plane. I would probably barf now from spinning in a circle.
My brother said he tried to fly one 10 years ago ( he is 10 years older) and just about lost his cookies...I Dont care I want my kid to see it fly then he can fly it....if it lives through that then we will go till it breaks!!!

I tried control line flying when I was a kid...I would never make a complete revolution without crashing. I have been flying RC planes for 35 years, it's much less work.

Ill get one tomorrow from the pile, do you know how ti dissasemble and clean them? If not Ill do it they have been sitting for years. They have a reed valve and a retaining spring that must go in the correct way.

My uncle had me and my cousin build a couple, they lasted for a surprisingly long time but eventually we tore em up. He had remote control planes, boats, and some bad ass cars like the Porsche 917 Can Am car he would not let either of us control given what it cost at the time. We did get to drive the boats and a couple of very cheap remote control planes, we crashed a couple but did OK most times. He got out of the hobby when my aunt found the receipts and found out what he paid for the stuff, he was bummed but he stayed married.

Anyone fly these things...I had them as a kid the Cox and Testor ones...wasn't very good but had fun. So my son and I were at the hobby store and I wanted a Cox plane but they haven't been made since the 90s the guy said....so this is what we got, and Ebay for the motor....We have about $50 into it so far...plane will be red. Cant wait to hear that .049 scream again!!
I had fun with them.

Now a days you can get into remote helicopters for under 50 bucks. battery powered but still fun.

MB165

My father and i flew those. he would buy sheets of balsa and made our own, painted them up brown and put white stripes on the wings and iron crosses on the tail and wings. all of em had 049 engines. also had a little control line pickup truck with a 049.
i remember we both augered a few into the ground trying to do loops.

whattya use for glow plug power now? I think the big 1.5v dry cells are obsolete.

I think as long as you get 1.5 volts to the glo plug they will work...I know there are easier way to fly...but my kid needs to fly the old school way. The loud smelly things were a blast.