Craftsman Tecumseh H30

Hey guys. Just picked up this little H30 side popper off eBay. It's got a keyed 5/8" shaft and a diaphragm carb on the long skinny intake.

I want to retrofit this engine to make it minibike-compatible. I know I need the cable-type throttle control at the very least, but ideally I would like to swap to a float-type carb and standard intake. Assuming there are standard (shorter, less restrictive) intakes that will bolt up. Will I need the taller governor arm since the standard intakes place the carb higher on the block? I know the tank will need relocated for the same reason.

Alternately, has anyone run the long skinny intake and diaphragm carb on a minibike application? How do they do? Will the cable-type throttle assembly still work with the existing setup? This engine is destined for my Sears Runabout/Bird Wren project where gobs of power is not a major concern. If the current carb/intake setup will work OK then I might just leave it for a while and upgrade a bit further down the road.

markus

I did one, have to say it ran alot better than I expected it would! I converted the tank over, was going to swap out intake and carb, but felt it was a waste of money since I just did a quick redo to sell. The long intake is very restrictive, and the carb ID is as well, but honestly I think it gave it more torque, which was good for take off pull trying to move my 220lb fat ass. I found that if you go WOT when you went for the first pull it would start right away, if not it would fight you.

I never manipulated the governor setting so it was not a screamer, just did a quick and dirty on the engine and the bike that I received in pieces a couple of weeks before this was the large exhaust valve engine, one I pulled parts from to build this one had a tiny exhaust valve...I tossed it in the garbage can :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3o_35-SaU

Last edited:
Cool. I don't plan on tearing this one down, probably just get it running and see how it does. I do have an old corner-fill tank and bracket off a '70s H35 that will probably go on this one, I think I even have a few intakes and a decent float carb that I can play around with. Gotta get the muffler off and see if the port is threaded or if I'm gonna have to make a flange and weld on a 90 degree bend.

I'd leave the carb and intake just the way it is if it runs. I just finished this early 70's Craftsman. The gas tank was mounted on a plate that bisected the intake. I took out the plate and put the intake back together and still runs great. I think what Markus said above is true regarding torque. I have two more of these old Craftsman's to do and I love them. I think they were either made just a little better or the grown up men who owned them simple took better care of their snow blower or edger than the kid who owned the same Tecumseh on a minibike took care of theirs. Haha.

Hey, that looks familiar! I followed your progress on that one on Instagram, turned out great! I have seen those with the tank mount that goes through the intake (2-piece) and has the choke assembly on a plate on the tank mount. Glad this doesn't have that setup. Guessing this engine is a 1988 by the serial number and recoil design. Will keep the stock intake for now, thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey, that looks familiar! I followed your progress on that one on Instagram, turned out great! I have seen those with the tank mount that goes through the intake (2-piece) and has the choke assembly on a plate on the tank mount. Glad this doesn't have that setup. Guessing this engine is a 1988 by the serial number and recoil design. Will keep the stock intake for now, thanks guys!
Oh cool thanks for watching.

Yeah this engine had that choke on the plate. A primer too. But there was no carb on it so it's an eBay cheapo.