Crazy Rear Sprocket Question/Idea

All,

I would like to gear down my rear sprocket from a 60T to a 53T. Here is my problem. I have an AZUZA Tristar rim with a drum brake. The drum and sprocket are one piece.

Question

* Can I machine the AZUZA Drum/Sprocket to remove it's teeth on a lathe , leaving me with just a flange and brake drum, so that I can mount a split 53T sprocket on the flange? I realize that the sprocket would be offset to the left by the width of the new sprocket but that would actually help me with the chain alignment.

Has anyone tried this approach?

Hec

What are you trying to accomplish? Assuming that it is a higher gear ratio for more top end speed, (only) a 7 tooth reduction on a rear sprocket will not make THAT much of a difference. You could accomplish the same thing by going with a clutch with one less sprocket tooth, or (if you have a jackshaft), by changing out a sprocket there, and it would be lees work and less expensive.
Michael

image.jpeg

Thanks everyone!

Creia, I have a Tav2 Torq-A-verter. See my Azuza side car build in the projects forum. This bike has a Tec OHH60. 6HP ENGINE on it. It will wheelie upon take off with minimal throttle input! It's scary. I built it for kids so it needs to be tamed down! A friend who is 6'2" and weighs 280 ended up flat on his ass riding it with the side car attached! I have the throttle restricted already. I am trying to reduce the torque on the rear wheel. The TAV2 has the driven spring set in the number 1 hole so its upshifting as fast as possible already. I am hoping that with the throttle restrictions and smaller rear sprocket that it will be more forgiving on take offs.

Hec

Last edited:
OK- understood. With the Tav2 setup do you have a small sprocket on a jackshaft going back to the rear wheel large sprocket? If so, you can put a LARGER sprocket with MORE teeth there to accomplish what you want to do as well.
Michael

Creia,

I will need to check, but the TAV2 is stock and set up for #35 chain. So it should have a 12T sprocket already in it. I don't think Comet offers a large sprocket than that. :confused: I went ahead an ordered all the parts to try and gear it down.

If this doesn't work I could move the rear tire rearward a few inches which will help. When adults ride it our butts are almost centered over the rear axle as we sit further back on the seat. This doesn't help with countering the torque applied to the rear wheel. A 75 lb kid slid further forward on the seat will counteract the torque better than when I ride it. They have a longer lever arm. I haven't let my kids ride it yet. Maybe this weekend I will let them give it a try and see what happens.

Hec

Last edited:
All,

I asked the help desk at OldMiniBikes and I received an email from Victoria Pratt! Thanks Victoria! According to Victoria, I can build my 53T rear sprocket set up by using these components:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/4_5-Brake-Drum-With-Flange-ID.html
https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/-35-Split-Sprocket-53T.html

I have ordered the parts so let's see how it goes. Unfortunately yesterday I ordered another 60T Brake drum to have turned down on a lathe. It will be returned now. Oh well, I should of waited to see what Victoria had to say!

Hec