Cutting Valve Guides when Porting Head

In the midst of porting a blue clone head... Is it alright to remove material from the valve guide protruding from the bottom of the intake and exhaust ports? Either cut them flush with the port walls or grind them down some.

This subject has been debated a few times and it's all in who you talk too. MDB grinds his flush with the ports(he also uses HUGE valves and BIG ports) but the guys from NR Racing say that they only remove a certain amount of the stem(I think because they found out that removing any more guide didn't help). So it's up to you bro. :thumbsup: I went with NR but That's only because I am running stock size valves.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Have you noticed a significant increase in how fast the guides wear out, or is that not an issue with these motors?
If the guides are fresh before you do it your fine. I only do it with nice tight guides. So if there already loose and sloppy, replace them before grinding them flush.

What are you planing on doing with your motor?

If the guides are fresh before you do it your fine. I only do it with nice tight guides. So if there already loose and sloppy, replace them before grinding them flush.

What are you planing on doing with your motor?
I'm going to get my cruiser going first. It's just a basic build, once that's going then I'll start working on the 3" project we had talked about.

The port and polish came out excellent. Thanks for all the help. Is there any need to soften the edges or even round out the wells that the valve seats sit in?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The port and polish came out excellent. Thanks for all the help. Is there any need to soften the edges or even round out the wells that the valve seats sit in?
I don't really understand what your asking.
You do want everything to blend smooth, no sharp edges. But the intake side needs to stay rough ported.

Its not in the port itself, its in the combustion chamber side of cylinder head. I attached a picture to help describe what I can't. I tried to highlight the area in red. Its the area where the valve head is recessed (about a 1/8" or more) into the combustion chamber. Is that area worth working or is it better left untouched? Or for that matter, is the combustion side of the head worth working?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Its not in the port itself, its in the combustion chamber side of cylinder head. I attached a picture to help describe what I can't. I tried to highlight the area in red. Its the area where the valve head is recessed (about a 1/8" or more) into the combustion chamber. Is that area worth working or is it better left untouched? Or for that matter, is the combustion side of the head worth working?
Your talking about unshrouding the valves
Yes it's a good thing to do, but is usually done with a cutter at a machine shop. It helps flow

If you have a bearing scarper you can knock off the corners around the vlave seats by hand.
This is a slow a careful process though ( done with valves in place and good lighting.
Follow up with some sanding )....

You could spend all day doing this though and never aproach what the proper machines tools can do in short order.

Just sort of a time to kill project that will make a modest gain.
If you look closely at the head ( 14cc ) you may also notice there is some material shrouding around outside that you can clean around too. Just make sure you mark the limits of where metal can be removed with a head gasket.

Here's a head with a little touch up in these areas.
clone stuff :: 100_9712.jpg picture by Dougwp - Photobucket
There was room to do a lot more work but this was done by hand with a bearing scraper and dremel tool in justa few minuts.
Just remember to keep the valves in the head and polish up after your done.

You can polish the combustion chamber. Helps it stay cleaner and i've heard it helps in preventing detonation due to hot spots.