cylinder honing question

i have a kawasaki bayou 220 i just got to working on it and have spark. i new when i was putting it together it had low low compression but figured i could ride it a little while and it just would burn oil. well it won't even fire i have a brand new piston and rings for it but don't have a hone my dad thinks i can put sand paper on the piston and mover it up and down back and forth and it will hone it out. will this work

WLB

If you can wrap sandpaper around your piston, even the old one, and still move the piston up and down in the cylinder, the bore is likely worn too much for a new piston and rings to help.
You need to determine how much clearance your piston has. This video might help. It shows a car engine but the process is the same. all you need is a set of feeler gauges ranging from two to five thousandths (.002 to .005) If the clearance is over .005 with your new piston it is time for a rebore.

Piston to Cylinder Wall Clearance - YouTube

After you determine the clearance, post it here. Remember to measure the clearance just like in the video. At the skirt ninety degrees to the wristpin.

hones arent that expensive, id just get one and do it that way, sand paper doesnt work the best ive tried..lol..and just remember to keep the hone moving, and clean off the stones and the walls every once and awhle throughout the process..