DB 30 Baja Racer minibike fed up with the 97 CC

Hey guys...
I gave this my best shot and the little 97cc just ain't right and don't think it ever will be ! Just fed up, had the bike for a little over a year and it only ran for a couple months before it crapped out. after my first post I found another 97cc engine and started swapping parts. Symptoms changed but it still just ran crappy...I'M DONE!!
I'm up for buying a replacement engine. My first thought is a Briggs & Stratton. Does anyone know of some briggs engine thats a close replacement so I won't have to do much modifying. I really don't want to go with the another CHINA built engine ! Don't really want to spend much more than $175-$200.
2 to 3 hp should do.
Looking for suggestions...
Thanks
Tom

Just put the China engine on your China minibike and start having fun with it.
The cost is less then $150.00 clutch and all.Just catch a sale then use a coupon on the motor and then spend another $39.00 on a clutch. With basic skills and a few hours later its fun times again:scooter:

d1333x

any used briggs on ebay from 3.5-5hp would be good, dont forget to get a new clutch though total cost should be from $75-$200. The 5hp Briggs Flatheads are awsome to work with.

You'll have to drill and slot the plate for the B&S or the 6.5 unless you get an adaptor plate! I have an older DB that was slotted from the factory for a briggs and is now slotted for a 6.5 giving me plenty of options, and I have a great running 5hpbriggs! It is not on my DB because the 6.5 is not a crappy chinese engine but a powerhouse that has proven to be reliable! I will use the 5hp for one of my vintage minibikes so as not to reslot a classic! A briggs will carry you along fine, but dont let your experience with the 2.8 cause you to overlook the most popular and fun engines out there! The clones are the perfect swap for the DB hands down!
I had both of these at the same time and loved them both, the red one was sold without the briggs engine and I regret selling it! Either one will be fine, just give the clone a chance!