DB30s rear brake cable barrel

I have a DB30s (Metal fenders) that I just picked up and the brake caliper and brake cable were messed up. I got a cable and caliper off a person on here and the barrel end that goes in the brake lever is smaller then the original barrel. He said he took it off of a DB30s just like the one I have. Did they change the size of the cable barrel when they were producing these bikes?
I guess I'm going to have to order a new cable but I want to make sure I get the right barrel size when I do.

Think the dbs had small cables compared to the hole the cable goes into. Think its been talked about here. Even the barrel the adjuster goes into the handle is larger than the cable end.

T-Town Mini

When I built my DB30 I replaced the messed up cables with news ones. I found that the Chinese original used on the brake lever was metric and the barrel end of the cable was smaller in diameter than what I had to replace it with.

My solution was to mill out the lever to accept the larger American barrel end using a dremel tool. I also drilled out and tapped the lever to accept a replacement cable adjuster, too.

So, you might check the measurements and see if it's metric or American in size. I would not want to use an "original" DB cable...there's a reason why they get messed up to begin with. Even the less expensive generic replacement cables from OldMiniBikes or ebay are of better quality than original in this case.

Last edited: