decent-lowprice-torque wrench

alright.. so the only thing stopping me from pulling the cord on this motor I've been working on for almost a year now, is that the rod isnt torqued down right..

so it took me months to finally get over to advanced autoparts to buy this $20 torque wrench that I assumed would work right.. it didn't. Apparently Taiwanese tools are not good quality.. who knew :doah: im not gonna go into detail, but this thing was just all around the most lame tool ever (it wasn't even good enough to be called a socket wrench).. not only that but I noticed that it was too high of measurements than I needed. so I returned it and found out that advanced auto parts doesn't have anything else.. they said check sears.

I checked sears and sure enough.. here it is.. exactly the measurements I need.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

79.99!? :scared: but the other one was $20 and had higher specs (even thought they made NO sense) I'm sorry but I just don't get this.. is it expensive cause of the brand name?? I just don't know..

so I guess my question is.. where can I get a torque wrench that goes down to 70 in/lb for a decent price.. OR rent one.. I just REALLY want to get this motor done.

-GC-

Hate to say this but get one from Harbor Freight. Their 1/4" drive is perfect for doing the rod bolts. BUT remember one thing, if you drop a torque wrench DO NOT use it again. It will not be accurate. Just buy another because to have it recalibrated would cost 10 times more then the wrench. I've been using torque wrenches since 1972(Navy). There are Dial Indicator, Deflecting Beam and the Click or Brakeaway Wrenches. Good Luck. P.S. The 1/4 I got from HF was on sale and was only $9.99 plus tax.

Last edited:
This is what you want or one like it: Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more. :thumbsup:

I know, it is not clicker, but it is accurate, durable, cheap, and will do the job. I have one of these that is > 40 years old and is still accurate. I checked it the other day (search web and you can learn how to do it), and was right on.

One tip, you will need to get the right 3/8" drive socket, don't try to use an adapter. The ARC rod on my clone requires a 3/8" drive 12 point 1/4" socket, took awhile to find, but once I found it, worked great. By the way, 70 inch pounds is 6 foot pounds (70/ 12 = 5.8). If you like, get a 1/4" drive, but you will probably have to get a 3/8" drive too, because the 1/4" drive will not torque a billet rod, head bolts, etc. So, 3/8" drive is all you need IMO.

If you are a professional mechanic and use a torque wrench often, yes you need a clicker and can afford to have it calibrated from time to time. If you are like me, don't waste your $'s on overkill that will not stay accurate. :smile:

Last edited:
my 1/4" drive torque wrench will go up to 20ft/lb - 240 in/lb if i remember right. but it will go high enough to do rod bolts on my honda/clone engines. i can get the 3/8" drive snap on in there to do it, but its tight and requires a little finesse to get the wrench on and off the rod bolts. 1/4" drive makes life easier.

cool thanks guys

chazdaddy Ill go to sears and see if they got one. i never knew they had torque wrenches like this...

cant wait to get that motor running
-GC-

george3

sears is a pos. calibration way off. It will brake soon. good torque wrench, and cheap thats not going to happen. torque wrench is a tec. tool you have to buy good quality or dont buy. go to a mecanic shop have him torque it for you. he will use snap on or same quality.

^^^^^^^^^^^

George is right on. Good tools are not cheap. Quality tools are worth the investment and will last you a lifetime if taken care of properly:thumbsup:. I understand everyone wants to save a buck but keep buying cheapo tools don't be surprised when they don't work right or just plain break:doah:. This section is full of threads just like this one, bottom line is you get what you pay for.

george3

^^^^^^^^^^^

George is right on. Good tools are not cheap. Quality tools are worth the investment and will last you a lifetime if taken care of properly:thumbsup:. I understand everyone wants to save a buck but keep buying cheapo tools don't be surprised when they don't work right or just plain break:doah:. This section is full of threads just like this one, bottom line is you get what you pay for.
Exactly. you can not buy a cheap torque wrench. you might as well use a plain ratchet you are better off. Would you really torque your crank with a harbor frieght or sears torque wrench? not me. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Biggest problem with stores that loan tools is you don't know if that tool has been abused. Torque wrench can not be dropped onto a hard surface and expect to torque to the correct valve selected. I have a 1/2 drive torque wrench from Sears that is 25 years old and looks a good as the day I bought it. I also have several other 20 plus year old torque wrenchs. None have ever been dropped or abused and I have no problem using them on engine rebuilds large or small . I have two from HF and have rebuilt 10 motors using them and NONE have failed due to improper torquing. Yes quality tools are a most if you use them everyday. But once in a blue moon???

zeeman

I got a Kobalt brand from Lowes. Could have been Home Depot. It is very good quality, and comes with a plastic case. Does not measure in inch pounds. I think it was about 75 dollars.

A lot of parts stores have tool loaning, you give them a deposit and they loan you the tools you need and give back the deposit when you return the tools
that what I was thinking, but i went to advanced and they said they didnt have anything.. im assuming autozone would say the same but i can try.. i remember calling two repair shops.... one wanted $50 and the other one didnt do that... I mean seriously i just need two bolts tightened.. apparently thats too complicated..

any store that you think would lone a torque wrench?

blah! i hate not having money... wish i still had a job
-GC-

Last edited:
that what I was thinking, but i went to advanced and they said they didnt have anything.. im assuming autozone would say the same but i can try.. i remember calling two repair shops.... one wanted $50 and the other one didnt do that... I mean seriously i just need two bolts tightened.. apparently thats too complicated..

any store that you think would lone a torque wrench?

blah! i hate not having money... wish i still had a job
-GC-

How 'bout this. If you can't find SOMEONE with a torque wrench I'll send you my Tq Wrench by kobalt. Use it, ship it back to me. You pay shipping both ways.

Thanks man, I'll save this for a last resort though, cause I dont want to be responsible if anything were to happen to it..

my step dad just told me hes got a friend who builds Austin Healeys at his own shop.. I'm sure he'll have a wrench I can borrow... I sure hope so.

-GC-

zeeman

My son works part time at Advance Auto parts, and they do loan tools. Not positive about a torque wrench though. It would not be too cool, but you could buy one, use it, then take it back. Wow, I didn't just say that did I. As a very last resort it sorta, might possibly be ok to do that.