Deepco Maximatic Clutch Help!

So, I am in the middle of my Mountaineer build and am trying to figure out my drive system options. The bike has the Deepco driven pulley still on it, but of course, no driver. After a mild attempt to pull the bearing off the shaft, I am thinking I may leave the Deepco on there. It measures about 7 1/2" in diameter, and on the inside between the sheaves looks like 5/8".

A. Can I use a Comet 20 or 40 to drive it?
B. I want to use my big block briggs, which is 1" shaft - does that limit me to the 40 series?
C. Do I have to modify it to work?
D. I am guessing the center to center distance will be farther than the normal belts will allow, where can I find the proper belt?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Well the first thing that you must know there is two types of drive systems the Comet is a Torque sensitive system and the Deepco is a speed sensitive system this type system slows down when you back off on the throttle and use the engine compression as a brake so you have control on down hill trails. The comet type systems free wheel when you back off the throttle. I don't think that a mixed system would work very well. Being that the Comet system 40 is symmetrical your set up hast to have your movable faces of each part the driver and the driven must be on opposite planes for the system will work and shift properly . Hope this helps.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I thought I had read about some people doing this, since it's a common occurance with the Tote Gotes and similar to find the driven pulley there but the driver (and engine) gone.

Are there any other drivers that will work that same way the Deepco one does? The Deepco's seem to be quite rare. Like a Salsbury, or ....?

In my opinion, the comet series 20 would work best. The 40 uses a 7/8" top width belt and the series 20 uses a 3/4" top width. I compared a deepco to a series 20. It looks like the deepco uses a narrower belt than the series 20( probably a 5/8" top width for the deepco).

In my opinion, the comet series 20 would work best. The 40 uses a 7/8" top width belt and the series 20 uses a 3/4" top width. I compared a deepco to a series 20. It looks like the deepco uses a narrower belt than the series 20( probably a 5/8" top width for the deepco).
My problem is that I would like to run my 1" shaft motor, and not grind or turn the shaft down. I dont think the 20 series is offered for a 1" driver shaft. If I used a 40, can I modify it to work, and how so?