Diaphragm carb

colt 1911

I am in the middle of dialing in a diaphragm carb on my tecumseh hs40 and it works well. What i discovered was the engine would not start with the carb choked. I moved the choke lever off and it started and idled. Any idea why this is happening? 100_2340.jpg 100_2341.jpg 100_2342.jpg

I would verify that the High and Low speed mixture screws are set properly. There are a bunch of great threads here on this subject, if need be. If the carburetor is a re-pop, I would partially disassemble it and have a look-see. The carburetor float system is easy to check and there are threads on that subject, if need-be as well. Could be a speck of dirt also.
Hope this helps

Turn the needles 1 turn counterclockwise after being completely (gently) bottomed out finger tight as a start to see if it fixes it. One turn out from finger tight was the stock Tecumseh settings for most motors, double check these settings in the service manual posted in the sticky thread just to double check. It's okay if the engine will only gives a few pops or sputters with the choke on, if you turn the choke off and it runs just fine that's pretty normal if you ask me, and sign of a well tuned motor. A engine should dislike choke. Also remember to hold the throttle open when starting it (especially when choked), that is normal starting procedure. If you haven't cleaned the carb yet, this may be a sign that you need to.

Check the diaphragm for cracks or pinholes. hold up to a bright light to check. Make sure the diaphragm is flat, they get stretched out. Some of them could be turned over and buy a little time with them. Diaphrams are vacumn operated, any leak will stop them. Also a tight valve or a hot cam will too. Some run the vacumn thru the intake and the gasket can plug the hole.

colt 1911

i returned my engine for final dial in at my local small engine shop and they found my new spark plug was the cause of the starting problem

i returned my engine for final dial in at my local small engine shop and they found my new spark plug was the cause of the starting problem
Smart move, if more people were willing to seek out professional help, there would be more running engines out there. This proves that when solving problems, it's usually the simplest things that we should look at first before tearing into more complicated issues.

capguncowboy

Smart move, if more people were willing to seek out professional help, there would be more running engines out there. This proves that when solving problems, it's usually the simplest things that we should look at first before tearing into more complicated issues.
If only all local shops offered service on Tecumseh engines. Most don't anymore :shrug: