Different clutch?

Hi all,
Im currently on deployment and have been ordering parts for my db motor. So far I have the following mods on my gx200 (160 head)...

26mm mikuni carb
.290 lift 246* duration cam from agk
RS s2 finned flywheel (+28 degrees)
RS adjustable pushrods
RS 1.3 roller rockers
26 lb springs
Honda flat top piston
Stock size billet rod

I'm also waiting on the machine work for my head to be completed by AGK. Will have the following...

Head milled .065
Port on intake and exhaust
28.5mm intake valve and seat
26mm exhaust (haven't quite decided on this yet)
3 angle valve job

I currently have the standard maxtorque clutch and was wondering if I need to upgrade? If so,what should I look at. What is the benefit of upgrading the clutch? I have little knowledge on clutches and would greatly appreciate some suggestions. Thanks much!

vwfan79

I'm in the same boat, I have modded my engine and now want to upgrade my clutch. From what I have seen and read the advantages are the adjustability and quality. The disc clutches are much better then the shoe style clutches and have more tuning possibilities. I have been looking at and considering the Cheetah clutch, its disc and comes with 13t 14t & 15t sprockets, the price is pretty reasonable too.

I'm in the same boat, I have modded my engine and now want to upgrade my clutch. From what I have seen and read the advantages are the adjustability and quality. The disc clutches are much better then the shoe style clutches and have more tuning possibilities. I have been looking at and considering the Cheetah clutch, its disc and comes with 13t 14t & 15t sprockets, the price is pretty reasonable too.
Very good choice to go with. I have 4 bikes with Cheetah clutches. Never had any problems.:thumbsup:

vwfan79

Every 1/4 turn on the 6 springs increases the stall by 100 rpms, disc clutches are better then those using shoes. All the adjustments can be made right on the bike. I tried it out to day and there is a big difference between the Horstman and a Max Torque. Right now the stall is set for about 3200 rpm and it works great.

So the stall is just where the clutch won't let anymore RPMs then? So it's kind of like a governor? Sorry for the dumb questions... Thanks!

Valocalrep

I wanan say the stall is the point at which it engages i might be wrong im new to this all too but im almost certain i read somewhere on here that stall was pretty much the term for engaging.

vwfan79

Valocalrep is correct, the stall is the rpms at which the clutch locks up solid. My motor really start making torque around 3300-3400 and doesn't have a lot of bottom end due to the cam and gearing, so I have the clutch engage in that range and just skip over the low end. I have a tach, a cheap one but it works, and I was able to adjust it pretty close to 3200 or 3300 rpm and I can go another 1/16 or so before I max out the springs. All the parts are replaceable and there are heavier springs available too.

Ok I think I got it lol. So the wheel doesn't actually turn until the clutch engages. The crank is turning the inside of the clutch only until a certain rpm, which you can change with the springs. You put a low stall speed, the bike takes off with little throttle... Correct?

vwfan79

Ok I think I got it lol. So the wheel doesn't actually turn until the clutch engages. The crank is turning the inside of the clutch only until a certain rpm, which you can change with the springs. You put a low stall speed, the bike takes off with little throttle... Correct?
Correct, you got it. For racing you want you to set your stall at the RPM were your motor has the most torque. I'm running a black mamba cam with a 5:1 gear ratio which is why I set my stall so high, the bike it's on is my race bike.

vwfan79

That's what I love about this site is all the info and people willing to help, I have learned a lot here so any chance I get to help someone else I do. Nice choice, that's what I was looking at before I found this Horstman at the swap meet. Let us know the results.

Agreed! so much help. all my questions get answered here. I will be doing a build thread as soon as I return from deployment. All parts should be waiting for me when I get home, so it will be a pretty quick one. Just need to find a good cylinder gas tank and catch can...

vwfan79

Good luck on deployment, and thank you for your services.

What kind of bike are you building? hotrodminibikes.com sells catch cans, not sure on the tank though.

vwfan79

Good luck on deployment (I think is what you would say), and thank you for your services.

What kind of bike are you building? hotrodminibikes.com sells catch cans, not sure on the tank though.

Thanks for your support. Be back in December.

It was a new style doodle bug I picked up from pep boys a year ago. Right after I picked it up, I got a blue clone from HF when they were being discontinued. Since then, I ended up changing the block and the head. It's a yellow clone block with a gx160 head for the added compression. Finally sent the head in to get work done on it before I left. I also did the standard parts changes like billet rod/flywheel from arc. Intake, and exhaust. Got the hydro brake and new grips. Also, got the frame powder coated to match my truck. You will have to wait for the build thread before you see it though! :)