disc brake question for Stellar Compact

Hello,

My son and I recently picked up a Stellar Compact mini-bike (thanks again to @markus for the help in identifying the bike) and have been going through the process of getting it back to running shape. We have started by getting the rear wheel set up properly (the axle in it was bent), and I am happy to say now have it in place and looking good. We reattached what I think is the stock disc brake setup, and definitely have engagement when pulling on the lever (not yet connected to the hand brake through a cable). However I am worried that we are missing something.

Currently the brake is bolted to the frame, but as the holes in the frame are slightly greater diameter than the parts of the brake that the bolt passes through, the brake is not rigidly held (see attached picture with crude red arrows pointing to where the brake is held to the frame). On the one hand I can understand why this would be necessary (as it lets the brake "float" and self adjust about the sprocket when engaged, but I don't really feel comfortable having something that seems to be somewhat loose. Am I possibly missing some springs that would go between the brake and the inside of the mount on the frame? I want my son to be able to enjoy the bike, and safely stopping is a big part of that enjoyment (though he may disagree) :)

Thanks!

sranger

Attachments

If the tube spacers are in there(and it appears that they are), that is all you need as far as I know. You are correct in the term "float". If the caliper were bolted to the mount rigidly, any high or low spot in the sprocket would be felt in the brake handle and result in a pulse and poor stopping ability.