DIY....when doing an oil change use this instead of a funnel.

Not much of a DIY but we need to start somewhere, if you have a DIY start your own thread so we have a list to go by....include detailed info as well as some pics.

This isn't much as I said, some of you guys probably already have one but the name of the game is sharing info. Replace your oil fill funnel with this....under $5.

using one of those is a good idea. i've always used a funnel which is a pain in the ass when the engine is in the bike.

when it comes to DIY threads....

it'd be best to walk someone through all of the steps with pictures and necessary information for each procedure. it would also be a good idea to possibly discuss the types of oil that are ok to use (in this example) and possible advantages/disadvantages when applicable. a list of necessary tools would be extremely helpful as well. when someone goes and gets a billet rod there's a good chance they won't realize they need an inch pounds torque wrench and 12pt 1/4" socket to properly tighten the rod bolts. that's just more stuff someone might need to buy and might not have the funds for.

that's just my .02 and why doing something like this properly isn't nearly as easy or fun as it sounds (it can get time consuming). i've done it explaining how to post pictures and what not and it's a pain in the ass.

DARK AGE 53 cool idea easy cheap clean . one thing i see tho wile your tec tip is awesome where do i possibly find this thing ? what is it called ?
not trying to put ya down or anything just trying to show you how your tip could be better . i try to if i give a tip or some way to do something (that requires a certain part or supply) , tell the person where to find the item or what is called . that way they can look for it themselves where they live .

DARK AGE 53 cool idea easy cheap clean . one thing i see tho wile your tec tip is awesome where do i possibly find this thing ? what is it called ?
not trying to put ya down or anything just trying to show you how your tip could be better . i try to if i give a tip or some way to do something (that requires a certain part or supply) , tell the person where to find the item or what is called . that way they can look for it themselves where they live .
My apologies for not giving it a name but there's a good reason....I forgot what's it's called.:hammer:I bought it at a store here in Michigan called Meijer, I'm quite sure you you don't have a Meijer store in North Dakota. I would think stores like Wally World, AutoZone, etc. would have them in the motor oil section.....I'll try searching the net to see if I can come up with a name......for now I'll call it that thing, again,:hammer:

here's the correct name of filler, Hopkins FloTool 10106B/6 Spill Saver Trans Fluid/Gear Oil On/Off Filler Refill, you should be able to find this at AutoZone, Advance Auto and many more auto parts store...Wally World probably has them also.

What I like to do is when I need less then a quart I measure the amount needed and put it in an empty oil container, place the filler on top and you're ready to go. By doing this you don't have to keep looking at the container to see how much oil you've used.....just empty the container and you should be ready to ride.:scooter: Hope this has helped some.

ya i have run into the i dont know its name before. about the best you can do it tell someone all you can on it . like that you got this at Meijer, in the motor oil section ,then gave a list of places to look .:thumbsup:
i hope you dont think im trying to be a dink, just helping you make your tips better . if i post a tip/diy and you see how it could have more info or better please let me know . it helps give a outside view to something .

i say you have a good idea there and the fill the old container with what you need and dump , great info :thumbsup:

i hope you dont think im trying to be a dink:
Absolutely not, I don't know you that well.:laugh:JK

As we talked about an DIY section in my other thread we need to see more people take part in the forum, right now this thread is in the lower 2% club. There's 127 views and only 6 replies, take away your replies and mine and hell I'd be lucky if it would make the 0.1 % club :shrug:......the way I figure it if a thread can't make the 10% club I'm wasting my time.:scooter:

Later,
Al

a giant red wood starts as a very small seed .
plant the seeds for the tech thread and see what grows . i have gotten pms from new members that seen a post i did months ago and there was some little info or trick that helped them finish there project . now to them that info has helped them learn and advance in there skill and knowledge.
look at oldschool he seen my thread on fixing a briggs tank and it made him think hmm what can i do ?he built his own tank from junk bin stuff . now he took the info from my thread and expanded it . he planted a seed too, some one sees what he did and say they look at mine and build there own , we both have helped create diy threads . is there a huge acknowledgment on are threads ? nope but people took the idea and its there for them to use .
my thinking is if you want to see this tech diy thing grow keep planting . it will show others that you too can contribute and make it grow .

another thing, if you make a "preliminary" thread like this and other people throw in ideas/info you can compile a final one that would work as a sticky.

once a sticky is done for this it wouldn't be hard to have this one locked so it just drops to the bottom.

danc9

Tips and Tricks?

Dark Age,

Isn't this a great tip? I was thinking of a place under Shop Tools were guys could add their best Tips and Tricks!

IMHO, DAN

I have one of those on filter. Handy as a hell measure off 650 ml of oil and pour it in.

Now something I have been thinking bout for a while is an oil tank.
I need to fab a catch can anyways so I thought make one that holds exactly 650ml of oil and it can serve two funtions.

Its a real bitch putting the correct amount of oil in a clone thats running on a mount.....