do they make a 3hp cam?

i have searched for a 3hp cam and cant find anything im sure they dont make them if anyone has any info let me know im building a bike for my 7 year old son and a 5 is too much for him i made an intake for a mikuni for the 3hp and hogged out the ports a cam would made it perfect

ive heard of people getting 3hp cams ground/welded, but its not very common.

in all honesty, i would just go with the 5hp, once he learns to ride with a stock 5hp then you can make all the power you want with it.

i have searched for a 3hp cam and cant find anything im sure they dont make them if anyone has any info let me know im building a bike for my 7 year old son and a 5 is too much for him i made an intake for a mikuni for the 3hp and hogged out the ports a cam would made it perfect
To the best of my knowledge the only cams for 3hp are the modified/reground nylon units. I do not believe that Dyno or anyone else manufactures them. The best thing you can do is find an old 1/4 midget motor or engine builder as the Briggs 3hp was the common motor for many years. I just bought a bunch of retired 1/4 midget 3hp motors and parts. I'll check for some cams, but I do not want to split up a complete motor.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Explain to me how is a 5hp to much, if your thinking of modifying a 3hp?
How much power are you trying to get from the 3hp?

Your planning on spending hundreds of dollars on a 3hp to make 5hp, when you can have 5hp from the start for less money.

vette66_00

Your planning on spending hundreds of dollars on a 3hp to make 5hp, when you can have 5hp from the start for less money.
HAHA I was reading this thinking the same thing. LOL

To the best of my knowledge the only cams for 3hp are the modified/reground nylon units. I do not believe that Dyno or anyone else manufactures them. The best thing you can do is find an old 1/4 midget motor or engine builder as the Briggs 3hp was the common motor for many years. I just bought a bunch of retired 1/4 midget 3hp motors and parts. I'll check for some cams, but I do not want to split up a complete motor.
the older 3hp engine came with a cast core, we use this as a cam core then have our grind put on it, i have done it 2 times, not worth the money and trouble in my opinion.

Sometimes I need to run the smaller motors because the frame will not accomodate a 5hp Briggs. I always run 5hp Briggs when ever possible.:wink: