Does this mean its legal to ride on the street?

I was curious as to what the laws were pertaining to riding my mini bike in my neighborhood here in Massachusetts. While looking online i came across this on the MA DMV website Massachusetts RMV: There is no such thing as a scooter in Massachusetts! at the bottom of the motorized scooter section it states "Mini-motorcycles and pocket bikes have been determined to be motorized scooters" after reading this I'm under the impression that it is legal for me to ride on the side of the road as long as i have a DOT helmet and obey the laws stated on the website. just looking for some second opinions, or any experiences from anyone here in MA. Thanks.

Yeah i was thinking of going for a cruise this weekend, and printing out a copy of that page to keep with me incase the police give me a hard time. Then at least I'd have some means of explaining myself.

The 50cc limit is only listed under "Motorized Bicycles" not "Motorized scooters" which mini bikes would fall into according to this page. And it says "•They cannot be operated at speeds greater than 20mph" Never says they cannot have the capability to exceed 20MPH.

The 50cc limit is only listed under "Motorized Bicycles" not "Motorized scooters" which mini bikes would fall into according to this page. And it says "•They cannot be operated at speeds greater than 20mph" Never says they cannot have the capability to exceed 20MPH.
....and the cop replies, "tell it to the judge son"....:scooter::thumbsup:

This is the definition of a motorized scooter right from Massachusetts M.G.L. chapter 90 section 1

"“Motorized scooter”, any 2 wheeled tandem or 3 wheeled device, that has handlebars, designed to be stood or sat upon by the operator, powered by an electric or gas powered motor that is capable of propelling the device with or without human propulsion. The definition of “motorized scooter” shall not include a motorcycle or motorized bicycle or a 3 wheeled motorized wheelchair."

It never makes any reference to motor size. It does for motorized bicycles however.

“Motorized bicycle”, a pedal bicycle which has a helper motor, or a non-pedal bicycle which has a motor, with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which is capable of a maximum speed of no more than thirty miles per hour."

Seems pretty strait foreward to me seeing as the DMV page states "Mini-motorcycles and pocket bikes have been determined to be motorized scooters" Maybe I should call the local PD and see what they say.

I have this idea that might be stupid as hahahaha and make no sense.

Here it is. Find a local cop or go to the police station and ask them about it. Asking people that don't live where you do is hahahahaing pointless and even if it's "legal" you still may very well get a ticket.

I have this idea that might be stupid as hahahaha and make no sense.

Here it is. Find a local cop or go to the police station and ask them about it. Asking people that don't live where you do is hahahahaing pointless and even if it's "legal" you still may very well get a ticket.
:thumbsup: A little common sense makes perfect sense. :thumbsup:

As far as plates Etc. I believe this covers that "The Massachusetts RMV does not register motorized scooters because they are not recognized as motor vehicles". In contrast, under "motorized bicycles" it states "Motorized Bicycles are regulated by a registration process with the RMV"

I was planning on asking an officer anyways. I was just looking for opinions or interpretations of the page given, because i may very well have one officer tell me it's fine, and another tell me it's not.